Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello:
Do any of you remember when two brothers were trying to corner the silver market? A friend of mine purchased a new Perazzi sbt gun for $100.00 in silver coin from them at that time. This trapshooter always kept the sales receipt in his shell bag should he need to prove the sale to any doubters.

My first and only Perazzi cost me $650.00 in 1971 or in 1972, it was a Comp 1 sbt. I had the choice of purchasing either a Perazzi or Krieghoff for the $650.00 at that time.

My gun came with .056 constriction. I could have taken a pound of metal out of that choke and still had a full choke to shoot. I am left handed and the gun came with right hand cast. The highest score I ever shot with the gun was a 14. I had a mouse under my eye along with a fat lip as it kicked like a mule.

I sold the gun years later for $1,000.00 and the new owner put in after market choke tubes. Years later he sold the gun and he also made a profit on it.

Do any of you remember when we could cash in silver coin for 10 times the value? Do you remember when some banks were giving out shotguns and rifles as premiums when taking out CD's? A bank in my neck of the woods gave out Weatherbys.

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was young, but do recall the attempt to corner the silver market. Remembered their last name, but had to search up their first names. :) Nelson Bunker Hunt and brother William Herbert Hunt. Now that's been a few moons ago!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bank giving out firearms as bonus? Certainly not in today's political climate. Some banks want nothing to do with firearm business.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Banks now will pay you to turn in your firearms. Politically correct liberal banks that is.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
skeet man:
My memory is not as good as it once was.
Steve
Well "Smoke" if you want to bring this thread about bi yearly that's dam fine with me. With my memory anymore I may answer different each time.

In May of 74' I got my first Perazzi, a Comp 1 o/u for the sum of $900. We traded a couple guns towards it and $250. That year I had the opportunity to buy a Comp 1 SBT at the Grand for either $550 or $600 through a group buy. They were left over at Ithica. I had won considerably more than that and owned one.

I believe it was The Bank of Colorado that offered different guns per amount placed in a CD in my country. Of course I was blowing mine out the end of the barrel and had none to deposit.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Martin, that's interesting. My first Perazzi was also a comp 1 o/u in about the same year. I sold it to Frenchie in 79 and went to MO and bought my first bass boat. From the frying pan into the fire. LOL

Steve

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Many,many changes over the years, and not that long ago or so it seems to me!

Martin, seems like there was other banks or institutions that were offering investment deals like that but colorado only comes to mind right now . Dennis

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here in the Milwaukee area we had long lines at area coin shops with people cashing in silver coin and anything else that contained silver.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Bought one of those perazzi'd at the Ohio state shoot way back in the early 70's. Think I paid 700 dollars. 32inch full. Great gun and not sure why I sold it. Motordoctor

1 - 20 of 29 Posts