Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ljutic Nut
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cleaning out one of the safes today and I ran across these. Purbaugh Short Sub-Gauge Tubes. I confirmed with Phillip that these are for a Browning Superposed. These are the short tubes that uses the existing chokes in the gun to work. I forgot all about them being out there. Only problem is now I will need to buy a Superposed if I want to use them.
P1030237.JPG

P1030218.JPG

P1030226.JPG

P1030233.JPG

P1030238.JPG

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Basically operate on the same principle as the Briley sidekicks. You have to change extractors also with yours but I see you have those already.
I have a friend that has a set of those in 20 gauge & they work fine. Many years back I had a set of purgaughs and they worked just fine also.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Browning Super Tubes.

Check to see if they are serialized, if so, they were fit to an individual gun, and may not drop in.

You will also need the triggers to be modified to work with the 410 tubes for sure, the 28ga tubes possibly, and the 20ga tubes maybe. I believe these were made for the Superposed that came with factory mechanical triggers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 2 sets of full length Purbaugh tubes. One for a 28" Standard Grade Superposed and the other for a 30" Pigeon Grade Superposed. I bought both guns used so I really have no history on them but regardless I have shot a bunch of skeet with both guns and haven't had a single issue with the tubes.
I believe Claude Purbaugh was "The Man" for sub-gauge tube sets back in the 70's.

I didn't know he made these shorter style tubes. Thanks for showing them.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,721 Posts
The short tubes will leave a stubborn carbon ring in the 12 gauge bore.

Reactions: jktphd

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I noticed that barrels are marked Over / Under. As Skeet-Man stated and to me that implies that the tubes may have been custom made for a particular gun. Check with Phillip if he can customize them for a new Browning before buying a new Browning.

Jason

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I had my Browning Superposed converted to mechanical triggers for use with subgauge tubes. Now she never misses a lick. I was told the guns with those tubes pictured had mechanical triggers right from the factory. Mine was converted by Browning.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,721 Posts
I wonder how well the 12 ga choke actually worked on the sub gauge, especially 28 and 410?
Not very well. Think about a 12 gauge 30" effective pattern with only half the number of shot. Probably some big holes. An effective .410 bore skeet pattern is only 12" in diameter, not 30" in diameter. Probably why everyone went to full length tubes with screw chokes!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Was cleaning out one of the safes today and I ran across these. Purbaugh Short Sub-Gauge Tubes. I confirmed with Phillip that these are for a Browning Superposed. These are the short tubes that uses the existing chokes in the gun to work. I forgot all about them being out there. Only problem is now I will need to buy a Superposed if I want to use them.
View attachment 1684019
View attachment 1684021
View attachment 1684023

View attachment 1684017
View attachment 1684025
Had a full set of these and had one split in half in the gun with factory ammo.AA probably. Thought would never get tube out of gun. Sent another Broadway to have tubes made. Purbaugh disappeared off the map. Had to hire an attorney to sue them and finally got the gun back in pieces. one year later. If something goes wrong, you are dead! Wouldn't touch anything made by Purbaugh. Just my opinion backed up by past dealings with them. Gud Luk.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Those are pretty cool Jim!
I'm not old enough to know that Purbaugh made 'shorties'...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I wonder how well the 12 ga choke actually worked on the sub gauge, especially 28 and 410?
I have a old set of 28" Skeetmaster tubes that came with a 1982 Valmet, which comes with mechanical triggers.
I don't shoot the .410s much, but I think they were all choked Skeet.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a old set of 28" Skeetmaster tubes that came with a 1982 Valmet, which comes with mechanical triggers.
I don't shoot the .410s much, but I think they were all choked Skeet.

The short ones were not choked at all they use the existing barrel chokes and they are not bad at all.

I remember making fun of the skeet shooters as they shot "Little girl shells". I seen a lot the the Purbaugh tube sets back then and I thought anything less than a 12 gauge was useless, now some how I ended up with these and a couple 20 gauge O/U's and a couple 28 gauge as well as a 410's. Something must have changed over the last 50 years.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Looking at the picture of barrel end, looks like it is choked Spreader. :147: :18:

Actually I would be interested to see the pattern at 20 yards of the 410 and 28 with a 12 ga Full choke screwed in.

Jason

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I used two Savage "Four Tenner" all-steel short barrel tubes in a Browning B25 skeet gun with inertia triggers in the early 60s. They probably pre-dated what Purbaugh introduced.

Interestingly, I never had any problems at all with the gun's original factory triggers when using the .410 tubes. They shot very well at skeet and nobody ever told me shooting the .410 was difficult.......ignorance was bliss in those days!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ditto Mr Skeels comment. you have to get the 12g bore very clean after you shoot these as it leaves a ring. I have seen several mildly bulged superposed barrells attributed to using the Browning supertubes, a very similar product. but these are cool and I could not have passed them up myself. tmc

·
Ljutic Nut
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt that I'm going to run out and buy a Superposed so I can shoot these tubes. I have way too many guns that never get used and I don't need to add to that number. I'm on a new kick now, my wife thinks our 4 year old RV needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't remember Claude making a short set of tubes. However, Browning sold half length tubes and I would think this is what you have. I had a set of Purbaugh tubes in a Browning. On my gun he simply cut the inertia block return spring to make it set the trigger for the second shot. Claude himself shot a Browning w/ a hydra-coil plastic stock painted white. The tubes were anodized for wear and were individually fitted by way of thinning the anodize so that the contact points might be a slightly lighter color than the parent anodizing.
Claude died many years ago and the business died w/ him. Skeetmaster , I believe, made tubes along his design though not as good and by that time Briley and others were making tubes w/ integral extractors.
I shot skeet at the same time as Claude and he had a habit of coming back to the house, starting the gun and calling for the target . We were shooting together and the puller was just a hair slow though consistent. She ate him up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts