Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
Over the past 45 years, I have owned some very nice trap guns. For the most part, the only gun that I ever shot good scores with were model 12's, Remington 31's and 870's. I just can not shoot a trap gun that shoots high for some reason?

I have owned over and unders for doubles but most of the time my scores fell into the 80's at best. I had a real good friend by the name of Vic Reinder's who used his Remington 31 TC for all events including doubles.

Vic took me under his wing and gave me some pointers when shooting doubles with a pump gun. The highest scores in doubles that I ever shot were with a pump gun which included a winning score of 94 shot in very windy and rainy conditions which was very good score that day and not the norm for me.

In this day and age, you will not see many shooters shooting double events with a pump especially in tournaments but let me just say it's a lot of fun especially should you get into a grove and start smashing targets.

Anyone out there ever shoot doubles with a pump gun even if it's just for practice as it can be a lot of fun? Ever see anyone shoot the doubles event in an actual tournament?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Okay, Steve, I'm going to tell you my favorite Vic Reinder's story.

I think it was my first or second Iowa State Shoot. On Fridays, they shoot the doubles.

This has to be back in the late seventies or early eighty's.

We were getting ready to go out and shoot and here comes this guy walking up carrying a Remington something or other. (Found out later it was a Remington 31) I could see that it was a slide action gun.

I thought to myself, "What in hell is he going to do with that?"

Well, he proceeded to show me.

I think he shot a 97 that day and won out of state champion.

Any way, I was duly impressed with him and found out later it was the infamous Vic Reinders.

After that, I never looked down on what anyone came to the line with. If they brought it and shot it, I was okay with that.

Vic taught me a lesson and he never even knew that he did.

My hat is off to Vic...................One of the all time great shooters.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
381 Posts
While I had the chance to see the late Rudy Etchen in a singles shutoff one year at the Grand, I wish I would have been able to see him shoot doubles with that 870 of his. I've heard several of the feats he accomplished with it.

Derek

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I tried shooting doubles with my 870 field. Found myself short stroking the shells, and loading the empty back in the chamber. If I were to get serious shooting a pump for doubles, it would be a model 31 for this reason alone. I shot a model 31 one time after trap league one night from the 27. Man, that gun just pointed so nice. The action was buttery smooth. Would fall open when pushing the release.

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Stl. Flyn:
Vic gave me his secret to stop short stroking when pumping doubles. He would place a dummy shell of a different brand and color a head of the two live shells and that kept the first two shells in line and it helped from the gun jamming up while pumping them.

I also shot doubles with the 31 and yes it did have a nice slick short stroke. BTW, Vic's 31TC had a 28 inch barrel and his full choke was .045 which also had a bulge in the barrel from what Vic felt was a stuck wad at one particular time..
Steve

·
Registered
455 Posts
I do! It's just a bit more fun/challenging :)

Best score so far is a recent 48/50 (we only do 25pr at our club shoots) with a Hilmer stocked model 12.

I have also used my 870tc, several 31s, another model 12, and a BPS.

I need to find a 37 to use lol

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray:
That's some very good shooting. I use to own a Ithaca model 37 trap that I purchased in the early 70's. It had very nice wood and was a smoke pole. I had some guy talk me out of it which I should have kept.
Steve

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
While I had the chance to see the late Rudy Etchen in a singles shutoff one year at the Grand, I wish I would have been able to see him shoot doubles with that 870 of his. I've heard several of the feats he accomplished with it.

Derek
My wife and I were honored to count Rudy as a friend. We shot with him in NW LA. in the late 70s and early 80s, while I was at Barksdale AFB. Rudy could sure make that 870 talk. He was like lightning with that gun. Some people still don't know he broke the first ever 100x100 in a doubles event at the Grand with his 870. The year was 1950. He coached my wife and I some and gave us a couple of tips on shooting doubles with a pump. My wife still shoots a pump on doubles exclusively to this day and has one two state ladies doubles championships with one. Rudy had a great sense of humor and I remember 3 instances that still make me laugh.When I first asked him for pointers of shooting doubles with a pump, he told us " I wouldn't worry too much about the "Pumpin." That will come natural and pretty well take care of itself." "It's the"Hittin" you need to focus on'! Another time we were sitting on the Porch at the Shreveport Gun Club. One of the members began ribbing Rudy and asked him when he was going to get rid of his old pump gun and get a better trap gun. " Rudy just smiled at him and said "Tell you what, When I FIND a gun I can shoot better, I'll buy two and bring YOU one!" The other time was just before we were all going to the Grand in 1980 to see Rudy inducted into the Hall of Fame. One shooter who was known for being a tad cocky, ask Rudy if he could introduce him to Dan Bonillas . Rudy said he would be glad too. The guy said Good, because he was going to tell him he was going to beat his butt. Rudy just looked at him with that canted smile of his and said "Well, ya know, there's a FEW OTHERS up there you might want to keep your eye on!" Rudy introduced me to a lot of the trapshooting GREATS, and Vic Reinders was one of them. Rudy and men like him were walking Legends We have lost so many of their breed ! I doubt if the sport will ever see their likes again and that's sad!

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
A side note from ATA History---
First 100 straight in doubles. (Great Western Handicap at the Denver, Colorado Municipal TC.) Mark Arie July 18, 1926
That's right, the first 100x100 on doubles ever recorded in ATA Competition was shot with a pump gun by Mark Arie. An old Marlin pump the old Dutchman paid $50.00 for!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I was fortunate to have Rudy Etchen as a friend and mentor, starting in 1980 in Shreveport, LA as a rookie Field Sales rep for Remington. He was a great friend for over 20 years until his last day. Even though I was not near the equal to Rudy on the trap field, he did invite me to shoot with him on many occasions at our home Shreveport GC and a few times at Red Chute in Bossier City. My most memorable trap experience was shooting doubles with Rudy at Shreveport when he broke 100 x 100 in a doubles event with the 870. What a delight. At the Grand we had a sign made up commemorating that accomplishment 30 years after his epic first 100 x 100 with a pump at Vandalia: Same Gun and Same Peters ammunition! Another unbelievable demonstration of his 'pumping' ability came on a foray to a "shoot" "somewhere" in Louisiana where the targets had feathers! Rudy went out to shoot a couple practice "targets" and there were many eyes on him from the gathered participants, waiting to see what this guy with the PUMP gun could do. Let me tell you, he fired two shots FASTER than anyone could with an auto or O / U. It was astounding. Even though I had experienced several doubles rounds shooting beside Rudy, he never pumped that 870 that fast before. It was hard to believe your ears! In any event, shooting a pump at doubles is not for anyone who has not married himself to that action type. My tenure at using a pump was very short-lived!

Slide Action...would you please PM me? I am sure we must know each other if you were in Shreveport and knew Rudy. Thanks.
Scott Hanes

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I often shoot an 870 for trap and have shot a few rounds of doubles with it, just because,

there are not many opportunities to shoot doubles around here, period, but the best I did with it was a 41. best I ever did with anything was a 45 and that was with a 391 beretta.

also have shot skeet with an 870 20 gauge, when was shooting skeet, that was my primary skeet shooter. a bunch of the characters there were most impressed with my shucking ability of that 20 gauge.

no place close and friendly to do it at this time,

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Makes me want to get back to shooting my Model 12. Back in the '70s I shot Model 12s exclusively for skeet and shot my first 125 straight with a Model 12 Skeet, catching the second empty with my right hand.

Now I short shuck one from lack of practice when I shoot in a Sporting Clay pump gun event. I still to this day can't break the habit of reaching up to catch the last empty!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I'm surprised Charlie ?? from CT hasn't been mentioned. A large man whose hand you could hardly see move shucking his Mdle. 12. He was some fast, smooth, and GOOD. Help me out Jeff (Puablo), tough to lose your memory. :)

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Vic was asked one time why he shoots a pump for doubles; as it must somehow be a disadvantage. Vic replied; " I figure I have to do something between shots, so I might as well pump the gun". I think that Vic actually believed that and did not say that to be funny.

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
One time a well known trapshooter told Vic "As great as you were just think if you shot doubles with an over and under how much better you could have been"? Vic went absolutely insane when that guy said that.

A few years later, some members of the Waukesha gun club pitched in and gave Vic a new over and under to shoot doubles. Vic could not hit a thing. A bit later they found out that he traded in the gun for a Remington typewriter.
Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was younger (could shoot faster) and poor. Shot a Model 12 for Doubles, won a big Doubles event at the OLD Wichita Gun Club, back in the 70's 96 and beat a guy in a shoot off. Broke a 98 one time in Skeet Doubles with a WS1. Only 100 ever broke in Sheek Model 12 28ga(real one)

Point? Didn't Vic R shoot a release trigger too?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts