Trapshooters Forum banner

Pump Trap Guns

6346 Views 45 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  krhutch
Who if any makes a good Trap Pump 12ga these days??
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,633 Posts
These days? Nobody...even Browning discontinued the BPS Trap model. The only time I see pumps on the line any more are about a month before hunting season when a few local hunters come out to the club in August to shoot a few rounds of trap prior to our Sept 1st waterfowl opener. There is just no market for new pump trap guns.
Find a good used model 12 trap or older 870 wingmaster trap. They will be your best options for a pump trap gun.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
I hear they may be making the Ithaca 37 again but not sure. The Browning BPS is a solid gun . I don't know if it is still in production ( I've heard it both ways) . I don't know if Remington ever fired up production of the 870 again . I hear they have had some problems with the new owner getting the production line going. . Maybe nitro27man could give some insight. The CZ 612 trap is a slick pump gun. I tried a demo one at Grand a couple of years ago and ran 24 out of 25 with it. It is reasonably priced . It's a lot of bang for the buck. Winchester makes a SXP pump action Trap gun. . It swings nice and crushes targets but it's only bad point is the terrible trigger . Other than that If I were in the market for one I'd go with a good used Model 12 or one of the older 870s

· Registered
221 Posts
I’ve ONLY ever used pump trap guns, currently a Browning BPS Trap. It is discontinued, sadly, as I think it’s an excellent gun, especially for the price. I keep hoping they will reintroduce it so I can buy a second one. Would LOVE to see one released with a maple stock!

· Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Winchester has a Turkish made sxp trap i believe is still in production, I wouldn't define as good but would shoot it before a stoeger. I think they are under $500, I would go with a model 12 or 870, try to look for an 870 compItetion, except it's a single shot.

· Read Only
3,349 Posts
My 870 TA Trap fits me like a glove and I have won enough money with it at "game" shoots to pay for it many times over. At the 1989 GAH, a shooting acquaintence (also from Kentucky) broke a 99 with a similar 870 TA 30" fixed full choke. There were 2 100's and he was the only 99. He took home $27,000.

I have shot model 12's, BPS and model 31's but the 870 just has that special feel. It has also taken deer, quail, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels and other game. Simply change the barrel to a shorter or more open choke to match the game animal and you are good to go.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
My 870 TA Trap fits me like a glove and I have won enough money with it at "game" shoots to pay for it many times over. At the 1989 GAH, a shooting acquaintence (also from Kentucky) broke a 99 with a similar 870 TA 30" fixed full choke. There were 2 100's and he was the only 99. He took home $27,000.

I have shot model 12's, BPS and model 31's but the 870 just has that special feel. It has also taken deer, quail, woodcock, rabbits, squirrels and other game. Simply change the barrel to a shorter or more open choke to match the game animal and you are good to go.
I have an old 870 TA grade that I have had for Years . I got it back in late 79 or early 80 ( can't really recall). nitro27man was there the day I first brought it out to the Shreveport Gun Club. I have used it for games, trap, skeet, and in the last few years some Sporting clays. It has over 275,000 shells run through it and it's still ticking . Those things were built like a Mack truck !

· Registered
68 Posts
About 4 years ago I wanted a trap specific shotgun but lacked the funds to buy what I really wanted so after a lot of research I took my old 70’s vintage 870 out of retirement, bought the 1100 competition butt stock off the Remington website, a new stock bolt and fitted it to my 870. I now have a fully adjustable stock trap gun. I love it!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.