Trapshooters Forum banner

Pump Action vs Break Action

2044 13
So in the other thread I posted earlier, I had expressed an interest in seeing or hearing about folks using a pump to shoot doubles.

Now where shooting doubles is concerned, the advantage of an O/U is obvious. But I'm just curious, what is the fundamental reason why most "serious" trap shooters use a single barrel break action or O/U. What makes them superior to something like a pump. I imagine that a pump is more of a multi purpose type of gun good for a range of tasks not limited to trap, jack of all trades/master of none? Whereas a break action O/U trap gun has kind of a narrow focus and excels at one thing, dropping birds/clays. But what is the principle reason why anybody who is serious about clay shooting sports, tend to use a break action shotgun, are they inherently better, more accurate shooters? What are the disadvantages of using a good quality pump vs a quality break action besides the O/U being an advantage for something like shooting doubles. Are the two types on equal ground if you're strictly shooting singles or are there improved handling characteristics and accuracy potential that warrant the higher price tag of the break action guns?

Just wondering how much of it is function vs form.

ETA: My question is basically just out of curiosity, seeing the trends, like alot of occasional shooters using pump guns, or people using pump guns to start out and then "upgrading" and leaving their pumps behind, people on forums and at the clubs recommending O/U's, etc.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
36,813 Posts
For me it is the trigger configuration and assembly, that makes all the difference.

· Registered
200 Posts
I think alot of people start shooting a pump gun because of the cost and versatility. You can break some clays with your buddies then hunt for pheasants, its an all around gun. When we get older and can afford some luxuries we go ahead a purchase something a bit more pricey.

· Read Only
150 Posts
Pump Cons:
Pumps and semi’s get your hands more sooty than do break open.
Pumps can be fiddly to load and un load.
Pumps can cause lost doubles targets through operator error more often than an O/U.
Break open guns are more refined and efficient for a price. Signaling to all that you have arrived on the trap shooting scene.

Pump Pros:
More fun to shoot.

· Registered
36,813 Posts
Last shoot I used my 870 Comp on,just closing the action would cause a bird to be thrown,,,,,,dont know if that helped or not ....
People with pumps or semi autos learn to close their action just as or shortly after after shooter to their left fires their gun. There is a slight delay as the bird is released, trap resets and ready for the next bird called. Shooters have plenty of time to close their gun without setting off the trap.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
With the amount of dbls I have shot the extra arm and hand action would amount to a mountain of extra work that is totally unnecessary .
Yeahbutt. You’d have mongo biceps on the pump arm.

· Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I started life using an 870 Wingmaster for trap, then an 870 Express to shoot trap because I wanted to shoot well with the gun that I was going to hunt with. Doubles scared me, but I knew that many of the masters-of-old (and just some old masters) used pump guns to set all those long-standing records. I eventually moved to an O/U because I found my interest in hunting waned compared to my interest in trap. But every so often I still bring the 870 along (I just don't add those scores to my average).

Don't discount an auto either, as a nice 1100 or 11/87 absorbs a lot of recoil working that action.

· Read Only
150 Posts
sooty; hard to load and unload! i never had any of those problems
Promo/Red Dot with cases reloaded several times. Include a bottle of orange hand cleaner with your shooting gear.

Pumps have to be the easiest guns to load with a single shell. Drop one into the receiver and close the slide. No need to fit into the chamber. Music to the ear, poetry in motion. Some less experienced shooters can be challenged with the mechanics of loading up for doubles and unloading during a cease fire or leaving the line with one in the magazine.

Forcing open an action with a stuck hull and it’s the hokey pokey.

· Premium Member
598 Posts
There are some pump Trap designs like the SXP Trap. My first gun was a Benelli Super Nova. I did about as well with that as with more trap specific guns. Doubles with a pump seems like a stretch but an SA would be fine. My shooting friend uses an A400 for all his shooting and gets a fair share of 25's. He did a 22 from 27 yards on Saturday. I have an Ethos that I do OK with and have shot doubles with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.