Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to this sport of trap, would like some input on this subject. I've shot mainly pull but seem to adapt fine to release after a few boxes of ammo. thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Did you have a problem with using a pull trigger being fairly new to the sport?

Simple answer. Use what works!

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
It is important to have a good pull trigger. A trigger with a consistent weight
of pull and no creep. If you have a good pull trigger, use it. HMB

·
Registered
385 Posts
My opinion, stay with the pull trigger until you need a release. Fewer moving parts to keep tuned, less to think about when shooting. Everything is just less complicated. That being said, if/when you need a release, don't hesitate to switch. At about 58 years of age I started flinching 3 or more times per trap. My "ace in the hole" that kept me in the game is a release trigger. I'm 62 now and shot the best score of my life last weekend.

·
Vendor
19,215 Posts
I shot pull successfully (6 yards in 2 years, 3000 hcp targets) and Frank Little saw me crossfire and insisted I switch to release. I did and never regained my hand/eye/trigger timing. I've shot some reasonable scores with release, but after all these years trigger coordination is still a struggle. If 2018 does not yield satisfaction, I'll return to pull till they dump dirt on me.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
I shot pull successfully (6 yards in 2 years, 3000 hcp targets) and Frank Little saw me crossfire and insisted I switch to release. I did and never regained my hand/eye/trigger timing. I've shot some reasonable scores with release, but after all these years trigger coordination is still a struggle. If 2018 does not yield satisfaction, I'll return to pull till they dump dirt on me.
I posted a comment on the thread by Shooting Coach discussing releases (Trapshooter observations) about possibly going to a Bump Buster(?) Remington 1100 Competition using light loads as an alternative solution to surrendering to a release. Any experiences trying this? I've got a couple of nice old 1100s squirreled away IF I gotta go this way before going to a release.... Looking for successful stories. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sounds like there is a market for the "new version" of the Butler XX12 that is back on the market from the new guys in Montana. Low recoil, bottom discharge, adjustable comb and rib, semi-automatic 2 shot, trap shotgun that could handle all 3 disciplines of Trap in one gun. Didn't know "flinch" was so complicated until I read all these posts lately. I thought it was just a simple pull at the wrong time, but appears it is also a FTF and other reasons more complicated.

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Found what I was looking for - duh - just did a Search on this Forum and found a great discussion on the 1100 syn. and Bump Buster...and it was earlier this month! Signed, EmbarrassEd....

·
Registered
85 Posts
ive been shooting for 12 years with a pull lately caught myself moving the gun before calling for target I shoot 1 eyed tried a release it worked fine but too nerve racking goin back to pull for what its worth thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is there a problem you are trying to solve by going to a release trigger? Flinch or something else? I would suggest do not try to fix something that is not broken.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with the "if not broke don't fix" approach. I went to release 20 years ago and never looked back but wish I could shoot pull. Don't shoot a gun just because that's the way it is make it shoot your way.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Although I am an advocate for the release trigger, I agree that you should not use one unless you have a need. (In most cases to allow you to enjoy shooting without battling the the dreaded flinch). Just because the gun came with a release is not reason enough to use one. Have it converted back to the original pull trigger system. Someday you might find that the release will allow you to continue to shoot.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Although I am an advocate for the release trigger, I agree that you should not use one unless you have a need. (In most cases to allow you to enjoy shooting without battling the the dreaded flinch). Just because the gun came with a release is not reason enough to use one. Have it converted back to the original pull trigger system. Someday you might find that the release will allow you to continue to shoot.
Why not shoot it the way it is, release and all? Nothing can go wrong then. I have read here on more than one occasion that you can not flinch with a release. So, the release and no chance for a flinch later. What a deal?? :18:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
My $0.02 worth is DO NOT use a release unless flinching is forcing the issue. Wish I could go back to a pull.

I found that once shooting a release I had trouble if the release varied even a little bit. I needed a faster and faster release to the point that an 870 was too slow and I kept on flinching with the release. Prior to this I never had trouble with different guns/triggers, now I'm flinching with a release to the point that I can't compete at the levels I could before. Really discouraging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts