Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People are getting fed up with cops being above the laws that apply to everyone else.

Rally to protest response in police shooting

Michael P. Mayko<br>
Updated 11:03 pm, Saturday, December 21, 2013

BRIDGEPORT -- Community and constitutional rights activists plan to rally outside police headquarters Monday to protest the department's response to an officer who discharged a weapon in a city bagel shop last week.

"A lot of people are upset at this," said James Keyser, a city Republican, gun owner and Second Amendment supporter, who is co-organizing the rally. "I, and a lot of us, believe there is one set of laws applied to regular citizens and another to politicians and police."

Keyser said he expects at least two dozen people, and possibly more, to attend the 5:30 p.m. gathering.

The protest comes nearly a week after Police Officer Juan Santiago, a 28-year veteran, picked up a borrowed gun from the table where he was sitting, cocked the firearm, aimed it at the floor of the Bagel King store on Main Street and pulled the trigger.

The bullet in the gun's chamber richocheted off the floor and pierced Santiago's thigh before blasting a bowling ball-sized hole in a nearby window. The restaurant was filled with customers including lawyers, professionals and retirees at the time.

Santiago, 55, who works in the department's identification room, was treated and released from nearby St. Vincent's Medical Center. William Kaempffer, the department's spokesman, said Santiago is out of work using his sick leave.

On Friday, Police Chief Joseph L. Gaudett Jr. turned over the investigation to the Connecticut State Police. Initially, the investigation was being handled by the department's Firearms Discharge Review panel and the Internal Affairs division, which reports directly to Mayor Bill Finch.

The city's response angered activists such as ex-state NAACP President James Griffin and current NAACP President Scott X. Esdaile; Lyle Hassan Jones, who has organized anti-violence marches for Save Our Babies; and area civil rights lawyers Burton Weinstein and John R. Williams.

All questioned whether Bridgeport police should investigate one of its own. Esdaile demanded a state police investigation, which came to fruition on Friday.

"We are rallying to demand equal application under the law and calling for Officer Santiago to be formally charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm and reckless endangerment for his incident on (Dec.) 17th," said Keyser, who unsuccessfully ran for state representative in the 126th District in 2010 and for City Council in the 136th District in November.

Keyser said he believes this is a "textbook case" under the state's unlawful discharge law.

The law, which is Sec. 53-203 of the state statutes, reads: "Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to likely cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property, shall be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than three months, or both."

Additionally, the law for reckless endangerment in the second degree, which is State Statute 53a-64, reads as follows: "A person is guilty of reckless endangerment in the second degree when he recklessly engages in conduct which creates a risk of physical injury to another person."

Conviction under this misdemeanor charge carries a maximum six-month prison term, $1,000 fine or both.

"What (Santiago) did was violate every rule of firearm training," Keyser said.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
There are a lot of good LEO's but there is also a lot that think they are better than the law

I guess they look at the current administration and figure since they don't have to pay attention to the law why do the cops

It does take a real brain box to cock a gun point it at the floor and squeeze the trigger

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gist I get is the local po po were trying to downplay it as an on the job accident instead of a possible crime. The state is now investigating.

And yes, I suppose we need to post the usual obligatory "but most cops are honest and hard working" so we don't get accused of being cop bashers.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
If my belief that a great number of cops think they are above the law and better than us peons makes me a cop basher, then so be it. They should get what is coming to em for their actions, but carrying a badge makes them exempt except on rare occasions.

GneJ

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On what "rare occasions" should they be exempt?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, reverse it. Gotcha. Agreed.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm not understanding why he had a borrowed gun laying on the table of a public bagel shop? Am I the only one who finds that a bit odd? I don't believe I have ever witnessed a police officer or anyone else for that matter lay a handgun on the table of a public establishment.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No doubt the cop is an idiot for doing what he did. If all other similar cases in that local jurisdiction have historically resulted in at least the minimum of the arrest of the individual accused of an unintentional discharge, then it should be the same with this cop.

However, if there has ever been law enforcement / prosecutorial discretion involved in prior civilian unintentional discharges then the same standard should apply in this case.

This discharge obviously does not appear to be within the scope of his duty, we still don't have all the facts, but regardless, he is still an idiot for unintentionally discharging a round in that setting!

I disagree with the political leanings of the NAACP and am wary of the support they are giving to this Libertarian.

The article says that the rally should have at least two dozen protestors and possibly more. I will be curious too see how many showed up yesterday once the article is updated. That is not what I would call a public outcry, but we all have different definitions.

On a side note, it is no wonder this guy did not get elected, his views on terrorism and other topics are fatally flawed.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I am always in amazement how many cops have negligent discharges of the weapons they are actually trained with and have to qualify to carry.

I have carried a handgun almost all my adult life. I have worked as a range officer for military and civilian training. There is NO excuse.

Now the scary part. You should witness the sloppy and unsafe firearm habits of the Homeland Security people I dealt with. I was working the (privately owned) range when they decided that they could exercise their authority and demand the use of the facility. Loaded .40 Glocks, walking around behind people with the fingers in the trigger well. When I made effort to correct them, one of the crazy women threated me with arrest and "chaining every door shut for good" They could not hit paper over 50% of the time with a full size silhouette at 25 feet. When I offered coaching, I was told they didn't need any and that no civilians should have guns anyway. They even shot a light off the ceiling while I was watching and then denied it was them. That is your Federal Government at work.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Leo, all I can say is "Wow."

I did a google search and this is who you need to contact.

Telephonically to the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) at the Joint Intake Center (JIC) in Washington, D.C. Toll-free number 1-877-246-8253, or email:

[email protected]

1) Demanding the use of a privately owned range is outrageous, as is:
2) Threats from the "crazy woman" and the unsafe handling of firearms.
3) Damaging the private range will get someone fired if they lie about it to internal affairs.

Please keep us informed of what the OPR guys say. This crap will only be stopped if reported.

For internet privacy I understand that you probably are unwilling to give the date and location of where this completely unprofessional incident occurred, but will you give us details of how they were dressed?

DHS is huge with all the agencies that crammed and merged after 9/11, were they in uniform? Plain clothes? You said Glock 40 S&W, I searched and only came up with Sig and HK for 40 cal contracts, with air marshals using .357 sig. Maybe they are personally owned? Were they in marked cars like border patrol or anything?

Did they have vests or jackets with specific markings? Do you remember what the badges said? With arrogant jerks like that, they had to be exposing the badges as a sign of being a complete bad asses. I figured since you offered to coach them, meaning you were face to face and that they acted as jerks to you that maybe you were able to identify the agency within DHS. That piece of information will be important for the OPR agents.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The TSA is the poster child organization for being an out of control government agency. They fear no retaliation, bully us around at the airport and generally treat their fellow citizens like scum. Reminds me of the treatment accorded the Germans and people of Europe's occupied countries from 1939-1945. The only difference is the TSA does not wear storm trooper boots and leather coats down to their ankles.

I quit flying 8 years ago. My most recent flight, in August 2013 was under threat of being cut off at home. That was a really serious threat, in my mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts