Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the Board,

And yes, I know this topic has been pretty much beat to death here, that there's no reliable conversion formula, etc., etc.

So I'm hoping my question has a simple, noncontroversial answer.

For equal measurements (6000 LUP and 6000 PSI), which represents higher pressure?

Thanks (and apologies) in advance,

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
There is no conversion formula. It's not like Celsius vs. Fahrenheit.

I believe the max LUP was 10,500. This does not mean you can just add 1000 to the LUP to get the PSI. The methods used to obtain the 2 readings are totally difference. It's not like temperature where you use mercury in a tube and the only differences between the two scales are the numbers on the scale and the distance between the hashmarks.

Published recipes are deemed safe, regardless whether the pressure is listed using one or the other.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hello to the Board,

And yes, I know this topic has been pretty much beat to death here, that there's no reliable conversion formula, etc., etc.

So I'm hoping my question has a simple, noncontroversial answer.

For equal measurements (6000 LUP and 6000 PSI), which represents higher pressure?

Thanks (and apologies) in advance,

Tom
PSI

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
There is no way to convert. So therefore there is no way to say which might be higher if both were tested with the new method. One issue is that the new method detects short lived spikes that the old method averaged out. If you tested the same load with both methods my money would be on getting a higher reading with the new method. But not alwqays.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Checking though my old and not so old reloading manuals tells me that PSI ratings for a given load read higher than LUP readings for the exact same load. I'm assuming the manuals did not change with temperature and age.
YMMV

HM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts