Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Perazzi with case coloring that is in pretty good condition. I would like to coat the receiver to protect the coloring. I have another similar gun that appears to have had clear lacquer or varnish applied. Can anyone tell me if Perazzi applied a protective coating to these guns and, if so, what was used, and what are good alternative coatings.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Find yourself a good English gunsmith and have him "boil" the action and apply Gun Lock varnish. It will stand up to the harshest use for 5 years and then only need re-coating.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The late John Doty, gunsmith, once repaired worn case colors on my MX8 to as new factory condition by :

Removed factory outer, clear finish. Touched up worn case colored areas with blueing. Then used a product from Brownell's as a replacement clear finish. The gunsmith said the product from Brownell's was like a "Jeweler's finish". Sorry, don't know the details but the result was a restoration of case colors to "as factory new" condition. Contact Brownell's regarding product and process details to refinish.

milt

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Completely disassemble the action.

Toss it in a can of acetone for a couple hours.

Spray it with any good quality clear polyurethane.

That'll be good for a few years

I re-coat my guns every couple years and the 30 year old color is still like new

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I talked with a Brownell's rep regarding the product mentioned above. Brownell's recommends :

Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II in "Gloss Clear". Product #083-002-612WB. $12.99/spray can.

Click on above URL.

milt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't used it, but I read on another web site where several folks recommended applying a thin coat of Renaissance Micro-crystalline wax per the instructions on the container. It costs about $12.00 to $16.00 for 2 oz. (65ml) on-line.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
wax does nothing to protect color or bluing from wear. It is merely a waterproofer.

The spray poly at HomeDepot will protect as well as the 2xprice Brownells product. Nothing is good for more than a couple years with regular use no matter how much you pay.

But - your gun, do what you like

·
Registered
742 Posts
They don't seem to have a coating. If you are concerned about the colors, the best way to protect them is to not handle them. Works for a long time and is cheap. If the receiver must be handled, a can of clear spray lacquer from the hardware store is easy, quick, and durable, and can be easily stripped and re-applied.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes , my Mirage (mx8) bought in 1974 still has case colors that are absolutely as new and it does have a clear coat type of finish still on it on the receiver. I have one small scratch, hard to see under the receiver but I think it is only in that surface coat. Not bad for 40 yr. but I never handle a gun by the metal, that is what the wood is for. All the kids were taught the same. It's amazing how much more a gun is worth if or when time to sell comes around if its been handled in this way. By the way, the FIRST trigger spring just broke a little over a week ago. If anyone had some bottom bbl Perazzi trigger springs for sale at a reasonable price let me know I'll buy a couple just in case. THANKS.....BUD

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Perazzis cc is varnished from the factory. Spray poly is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts