Trapshooters Forum banner

PROSTAR - Honest Review by an American

5386 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Dogbest
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Dave did an excellent job reviewing the Prostar.
I have owned a Yildiz Prostar and can say from experience it is an excellent gun.
It is the prettiest gun I have owned. The wood is outstanding.
I sold it only because I am a trapshooter and the Prostar I owned was a sporting gun.
The person who bought it loves the gun and shoots it quite well.
If they ever import a trap model to the USA, I will probably buy one.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
I read a lot of gun magazines and I am not aware of Mr. Holmes or who he works for? Its not going to change my mind, I think Browning makes the best "low end" shotguns

Reactions: Swampy16

· Registered
15,248 Posts
I think Browning makes the best "low end" shotguns
Without a doubt.

$1800 for the CX/CXS/CXT is by far the best value for the dollar for a break action gun you can get today, and I've owned the entire gamut.

You could literally buy two Brownings for the price of one Yildiz, and be set for two lifetimes instead of just one LOL

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Without a doubt.

$1800 for the CX/CXS/CXT is by far the best value for the dollar for a break action gun you can get today, and I've owned the entire gamut.

You could literally buy two Brownings for the price of one Yildiz, and be set for two lifetimes instead of just one LOL
The more I look into guns the less I’m convinced there’s anything low end about a browning break gun other than price , time proven action at a reasonable price.

· Registered
185 Posts
I think my grandfather would had the same thoughts about Japanese made guns (ie. Browning) 30 or so years ago, now everyone considers them amount the best and a top value. With modern manufacturing and frankly the simplicity of these tools we shoot and some decent QC in the factory not sure the country of manufacture is that critical other than political. Hell Airbus buys machined part from Turkey, have any of you refused to fly on their product.

· Registered
2,040 Posts
There is no doubt that Browning is the best value in an over under shotgun.
I currently have four Browning shotguns and like them all.
However, sometimes a person desires something different.

I had a Prostar and really liked it. I consider it a good gun.
Price seems to be the main concern of all who discuss
but haven't owned the gun. I was able to negotiate a reasonable
price on the Prostar that I bought.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I think my grandfather would had the same thoughts about Japanese made guns (ie. Browning) 30 or so years ago, now everyone considers them amount the best and a top value. With modern manufacturing and frankly the simplicity of these tools we shoot and some decent QC in the factory not sure the country of manufacture is that critical other than political. Hell Airbus buys machined part from Turkey, have any of you refused to fly on their product.
You make some good points and 30 years from now if I’m still breathing I might take a look at one.

· Registered
4 Posts
You make some good points and 30 years from now if I’m still breathing I might take a look at one.
Sorry to tell you this brothers, but its 50 years now. Time is flying.

The pre-citori clones were hitting the markets late 1960s ... and the browning/miroku relationship launched mid 1970s.

Look at me ... we are the old ones now ....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
144 Posts

The pre-citori clones were hitting the markets late 1960s ... and the browning/miroku relationship launched mid 1970s.

Too true. Time flies when you're having fun.

My first real trap O/U was a Miroku-made Charles Daly Superior Grade Trap which my wife bought for my Christmas present in 1975. That was 45 years ago last Christmas and it was supposedly the last year that Charles Daly imported Miroku guns into the U.S.

Lots of other shotguns have come and gone, but that Miroku Daly will be with me until I can no longer shoot, then it goes to my son. Still shoot that wonderful old gun some although I had to change the age hardened recoil pad a couple of years ago for a new softer one.

I agree with others that the reasonably priced Browning Citori models are the best value currently going for an excellent quality over/under.

· Registered
1,360 Posts

My point is /was if these new guns are still in service 30 years from now and are proven over time to be durable and have good resale value then is when I’ll be ready to take a serious look . I’ve been shooting targets for about 10 years and every year or two the next great thing comes along and before you know it it’s gone and it’s some other gun that’s new so I’m going to let time tell this tale. For the time being I’ll just shoot my browning and let everybody that wants to experiment with the latest and greatest new thing. Lastly I do have a mirror and am aware of age ,wrinkles and a big bald spot are hard to overlook. 😎🤣
Benny

· Registered
4 Posts
Too true. Time flies when you're having fun.

My first real trap O/U was a Miroku-made Charles Daly Superior Grade Trap which my wife bought for my Christmas present in 1975. That was 45 years ago last Christmas and it was supposedly the last year that Charles Daly imported Miroku guns into the U.S.

Lots of other shotguns have come and gone, but that Miroku Daly will be with me until I can no longer shoot, then it goes to my son. Still shoot that wonderful old gun some although I had to change the age hardened recoil pad a couple of years ago for a new softer one.

I agree with others that the reasonably priced Browning Citori models are the best value currently going for an excellent quality over/under.
I picked up a Charles Daly Superior Trap circa '74 / '75 a couple years ago - lovely shooter. What a small shotty world this is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.