Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading Estate shells using a Clybusters CB1100, the sub for WAA12SL. Have noticed less recoil, but I was told that's because I'm using the wrong wad - something about the taper of the shell. So my chamber pressure is probably less which I guess not only affects recoil but also velosity.

So, what is the correct wad to use in 1oz reloads with Estate? Thanks

· Registered
3,003 Posts
Use the Federal 12SO or clone. The Estate is a straight walled hull, the wads you are using are for a tapered hull, and gasses and powder will blow between the wad and the hull. I do however on occasion use a 1 ounce tapered wad in a straight walled hull for 1-1/8 loads. There is data for that, and you have to use more powder.

Wayne

· Registered
32 Posts
Federal Top Gun and Estate hulls use the same reloading data.
They are a straight walled hull and do not use the same wads as Winchester or Remington.
I use the Claybuster 6100-12B wad,1oz.shot and Claydot powder,with a Federal 209 primer.
These are my 16 yard trap loads. They work well in summer and winter.
Claybuster supplies load data in the bag of wads.
Les.

· Premium Member
579 Posts
Wayneo, why do you use a tapered wad for the 1-1/8 oz loads?- crimp, room, pressure, recoil?? i've only used the S3 and have never tried a tapered 1oz wad in the federal. thanks in advance, dennis

· Registered
3,003 Posts
Dennis,

At the time I was using FGM hulls and 700X for my handicap loads. I ran out of S3 wads and tried a Blue Duster (1-1/8) wad. Crimps were dished in bad. I looked at the Hodgdon reloading guide and low and behold it showed a lot of data for using the WAA12SL with 700X in a FGM hull.

I had a bag of Green Dusters so I loaded up a box and went to the club and shot a round. Crimps were perfect, shell preformed great. I had to drop a 1/2 grain more powder with the 1 ounce Green Duster then I did with the S3. You can also use the WAA12 or Blue Duster for 1-1/4 ounce loads in a FGM hull if your powder is not to bulky. That combination with WST is killer.

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.