Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the left/right adj. comb. should be moved so that the mid and front beads line up. With my comb.(set in the middle) the beads line up but the gun patterns to the left. Any harm in moving the comb over to the right to correct this?

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
There is no harm in moving the comb. Are you using a rest to pattern and at what distance? Im just asking as with out knowing some things there could be a few other reasons as to why you shotgun patterns to the left. How much to the left?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no harm in moving the comb. Are you using a rest to pattern and at what distance? Im just asking as with out knowing some things there could be a few other reasons as to why you shotgun patterns to the left. How much to the left?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used many methods of patterning(benchrest,offhand, 10 yds., 20 yds., 30 yds., 40 years) all with the same results: I would say 70% of the holes are to the left. Browning XT O/U.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the beads line up or are you making the beads line up?

Mount the gun comfortably and snugly with your eyes closed. Once the gun fit feels good, open your eyes, see where things are and adjust from there.
Mounting the gun with eyes closed and then opening the beads are lined up with the comb in the middle position. When I do the same with the comb to the right the beads are offset and not lined up. But does that matter? since once I call pull my eyes are no longer looking at the beads but in the air above the house to pick up the bird.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I would definitely try what uknownone it describing. Is the patterning to the left with both bls. or just one. I would also have a fellow shooter shoot the Browning and see what you get for a result if you have not already done so. I have seen shooters that are patterning to the left move the comb till it is uncomfortably to the right and still no tangible change in POI. Is this shotgun new or say new to you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both barrels shoot left. I am the only one to have shot it. I bought it new 5 years ago. At that time I moved the comb slightly to the right and ASSUMED that would be the fix. But last week a very experienced shooter told me all the birds I was breaking I was hitting them on the left so it got me thinking and I re-patterned it and sure enough still shooting left. I have now moved the comb all the way to the right and will shoot tomorrow and see the results.

·
Registered
446 Posts
CWW,
If the gun is shooting to the left wouldn't you need to move your comb to the left which should pull the barrel back to the right.. I could be wrong on that but it sounds logical.

Johnny

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
This is just a thought as I had seen this once befor where a shooter was having trouble with basic bead alignment.The shotgun had a very neutral cast and needed I believe more cast off. I also seen one time where I guy had a very high end shotgun and there were no palm swells and it ended up being a left orientated stock.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I understand that everyone operates on a different budjet but I do relate to what comp 1 says. Sometimes it is not worth the overall time you put into the thing trying to get it to do what you want. I would have a stockfitter in your area take a look at it though as you never know.

·
Registered
464 Posts
CWW,
If the gun is shooting to the left wouldn't you need to move your comb to the left which should pull the barrel back to the right.. I could be wrong on that but it sounds logical.

Johnny
logically thinking if you move comb to the left you are in effect pushing the stock further to the right away from your right cheek causing barrel to move more to the left. Always move the comb in the direction you want the POI to move.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
WOW.. CCW you have many opinions here on how to move your POI to the right. Here is a very simple way to pattern your gun, put up a pc of paper with a 6'' circle in the middle step back 16 yards and rest the circle on the top of the flat part of the rib then take 2 shots. Go back and take a look, if you are unhappy where the gun is patterning replace the paper move your comb and take 2 more shots. Just keep patterning your gun until you are satisfied with the pattern. Forget about the beads, just remember the relationship of the target to the top of your rib and you cant go wrong... Joe 631 319 6959

·
Sleep...What’s That?
419 Posts
If the chokes pattern and barrel alignment are OK...canting the gun slightly to the right from straight vertical will pull the shot pattern left even with perfect bead alignment. The higher the rib the greater the effect. This is a very common problem I have seen at the patterning board. I have seen guys shooting brand spankin new multi sport clay guns with a high rib shoot 100 % pattern left or right because of cant. They did not ever notice the problem with regular hunting guns.

I would get the comb positioned so you have a good cheek weld on the comb with perfect center bead alignment...while still in this position look back toward the forend with your eye...should be the exact amount of wood on both sides of barrel. It takes very little cant to push the shot pattern off center.

Moving the comb left or right and still aligning the beads should have no other effect than just having more or less pressure where you make purchase with the comb. Now if you move the comb outward and look to the right of center bead and still align front bead with target then impact will move right...but this is a poor way of correcting POI. I take it you have checked for a bent or off center rib as well. Comb up and down movement is used to get your preferred view over the comb...figure 8 or whatever you prefer. The higher you go, the more POI moves up...much better to adjust rib for POI vertical adjustment the move comb to regain stacked figure 8 sight picture.

Also if at all possible use a bench or shooting stick to get accurate pattern shots. If you get the perfect pattern set up on a bench...then have problems freehand...you can work on mechanics.

I use one of these to pattern.

One other possibility that can have effect if to extreme is how much pressure you hold the gun with. Gripping to hard or excessive pressure on the gun cheek weld can lead to poor mechanics when you pull the trigger causing pulls and pushes.

This is just my 2c...been thru probably 30 professional gun fittings in my life. I'm sure you can get it figured out.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
CWW, to find out what is really happening you'll have to do some work. The first thing you have to do is find out where your barrels and chokes shoot. To do that, set up on a bench about 16-20 yards from a grease plate or pattern board. Put your tightest choke in one barrel, aim down the rib just like it was a rifle and fire at the target. Do it again and again until you know for certain where the POI was relative to your POA. Now do this for every choke tube you have. Any that print to the same POI are good. Any that don't are bad and need discarding. Now take your tightest known good tube and put it in the other barrel. Aim and fire for POI. If it is the same as for the other barrel, your barrels are converged. If not, you'll have to decide whether they are off far enough that you want to fix it.

Now that you know where your gun and chokes shoot, it's time to find out where you shoot it. Stand 13-16 yards from a pattern board with three vertical lines drawn on it. Mount your gun and stand just as you would on the line. Trace one of the line with the front bead and fire. Do this several times. Do not try to line up the beads. Just look at the front bead and trace. If you are mostly hitting the line, your left/right POI is fine. If not, adjust your comb in the direction you want the shot to move. Eventually, you'll be hitting the line. If your beads no longer line up, don't worry about it. The only points that really matter are your eye, the front bead and the target.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
I pattern for POI at 15 yards. that way I get a nice big hole in the sheet. No questions there.

For windage the rule is move the rear sight (your eye) in the same direction you want the POI to move.

Shoot from a rest so you don't have to waste ammo. You could buy one of those fancy laser gadgets that stick in the end of your barrel but it would cost more than ammo.

HM

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
CWW,

Johnny
Don't think so--you move the comb in the direction you want to move the pattern.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
IF....you can move the comb to the right enough that your pattern is centered, and

IF....you can mount with closed eyes, open the master eye and always see the same picture,

then your gun fits.

If your gun really fits, you can start with gun down and eyes focused a few yards out beyond the house, mount the gun without EVER bringing the bead(s) into focus, call for and grind targets. Sporting clay and FITASC champions do it routinely.

Now you can remove the center bead since it serves no purpose and will likely be a distraction. You no longer have to "check" the bead alignment when you mount since it's unnecessary and only increases the risk of not refocusing the eyes out where they belong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts