Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I do not have an up to date rule book available at this time, but what is the proper etiquette/rule should you think you chipped a target during tournament shooting and the puller calls lost target?

Most squads I have shot on, if a puller calls lost, and two shooters on the squad say they also saw a chip you were given the target. How should this situation be handled?

I was once on a squad where one shooter thought he chipped a target and the puller called lost. This person stopped the squad and individually questioned each shooter and asked if they saw a chip come off the target?

When the puller and the remainder of the squad said they saw no chip he said I must be shooting with a bunch of Ray Charles type shooters. He came right out and said, don't ask him if you have a chip as he will not say he saw one even if he did.

The guy then stormed off the squad.

What is the proper etiquette/rule in a situation like this?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
jump up and down - scream like hell... if all else fails drop to the ground crying and kicking.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Keep your mouth shut, if other members of your squad say dead bird, you say thank you !!!

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
There is nothing in the rule book that says the shooter can't call their target, I will ask the squad, and if nobody saw a piece, they we resume shooting....

·
Registered
218 Posts
All the squad members should be watching each and every target unless they are loading or unloading their gun. One or more of them should state that the target in questions was dead as the shooter, most of the time; won't see a chip. Other squad members should politely chime in and also state the target was indeed DEAD! No problem with the scorer correcting the score and the squad proceed to shoot. Polite way to handle the call as it can and does happen in a squad.

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I've no idea about etiquette, but if you call your own target(s) you will immediately be branded a cheater, right or wrong, and it will dog you forever. Is one target worth that? Are ten?

Neil

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I would never call my own chip but I would say something if I hammered one and the scorer screwed the pooch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In our trap league, we made it clear to the squad leaders that they are the back-up set of eyes for the scorer, but all the other shooter are told that if they see a chip, that they should sing out.
With all these eyes on it, the shooter rarely needs to question a call.

Mike

·
Registered
465 Posts
The ruling is not a matter of group concensus. If there is a disagreement on the call, it is between to shooter and the scorekeeper. The scorekeeper can ask the squad if anyone saw a chip, but in the end, the scorekeeper has to make the call. If the shooter still has a disagreement they can call in the bank supervisior. We have tried to explain to all of our kids on our shooting team, once you step out of the box, the score is official. If the call is in question, you turn around and face the scorer at the call of "loss", but if it is not resolved, you simply don't rotate or shoot again until you and the scorer come to an agreement one way or the other. Having a meltdown doesn't make anyone a hero. We actually had a kid argue one of his own dead targets to a loss. It gives you a sense of pride when a 16 yr old kid will not take a freebee.

regards,

Todd / Illinois

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If I think I see a chip off one I have shot at and it's called lost. I will ask if anyone saw a chip. If no, then that's the way it is.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It has happened to me on more than one occasion. When it happens, and the target is called lost, even though I saw a chip, I will calmly turn around and ask the scorer how they called the last target. If the scorer again calls lost, and no one else on the squad saw it, then the target is lost. By turning around and questioning the scorer about the call, it also gives the rest of the squad a chance to voice their observations. I was on a squad once where I chipped a target and it was called lost. After the round, I asked the rest of the squad if anyone saw that chip. One shooter acknowledged he saw a chip but didn't want to say anything because the rest of the squad remained silent.... Just the nature of the game.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
If I think I saw a chip, and no one else did, I should have hit it harder.

Kay O's pre-event discussion when he's shooting with people he doesn't know. "IF YOU SEE A PIECE COME OFF ONE OF MY TARGETS, AND SCORER CALLS IT LOST, CALL IT OUT IMMEDIATELY!" He went out of way to make sure everyone was listening.

He really wanted to make sure we were watching his breaks.

He also shook everyone's hand when we were done.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
In my experience usually your squad mates will call a "chip" before you say anything yourself. On the rare occasion the scorer calls a loss and I'm POSITIVE I broke it I might turn around and stare at the scorer with my mouth hanging open :-0 usually followed by the whole squad exclaiming "HE HIT IT". At any rate I'd say if that guy thought he saw a chip and nobody else saw it he should assume he was mistaken and leave it there. If he stormed off the squad I'd say good riddance.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The opposite side of that coin is, if you get a target scored dead and you know you didn't hit it you should question your squad mates if the saw a piece. If no one saw a piece you should ask the scorer to change it to a lost target.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I've done as Jim mentioned above before and found the scorer read them off wrong.

I normally shoot squad leader and it is my duty to watch every target. Yes at times I miss one here or there.

I do say to the fillins on out squad to watch every target they can.

With that said if I see a piece off an others target I wait till my turn and then call it to attention.

In the end you must make sure the scorer makes the correction properly. I've seen cashiers throw out score alternations due to improper fixing.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
SC,

Frank Hoppe made a point to encourage everyone to do just that in his clinics. Do not claim a lost target, correct the score and move on.

Be honest with yourself and everyone else.

I miss Frank.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have done that on more than one occasion, Jim. Question the scorer on a "dead" call if I think I missed it, if he/she doesn't seem too sure I'll ask them to change it to "lost", if she insists OTOH that there was a chip, well I'm not one to stand out in the hot sun arguing with the young ladies.

·
Registered
232 Posts
for quite a few years back in the early 80's i scored at great eastern and twice at the grand in vandalia and it happened more than once..most times the shooters would rely on my call and not comment most of the time, but i was younger and on the game very well, id always ask the shooters on the squad just to make sure and maybe i got lucky but most were very honest and sincere, and what i saw was most times the guy that blew a gasket and freaked out was 99% wrong in trying to reverse the lost bird call,,,,,,definately a big difference in a honest reaction to a bird a shooter chipped and thought they missed and i called dead!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts