Trapshooters Forum banner

promo vs red dot

5205 31
I know there is a difference and was told but have since forgotten.
One of these powders is heavier / bulkier, but are they equal in recipes (grains)?
thanks!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
723 Posts
I use promo and red dot for my everyday 16 yd load. 1 oz shot. The Alliant chart shows 1150fps with 17 gr. and 1200 with 18 gr. Pressures are well below max with either. My shooting style finds little difference with either load, so as a practical matter, I’m happy with anywhere between 17 and 18 gr. I do weigh regularly, of course but this means I seldom need to change bushings when going to a new jug.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
I use promo and red dot for my everyday 16 yd load. 1 oz shot. The Alliant chart shows 1150fps with 17 gr. and 1200 with 18 gr. Pressures are well below max with either. My shooting style finds little difference with either load, so as a practical matter, I’m happy with anywhere between 17 and 18 gr. I do weigh regularly, of course but this means I seldom need to change bushings when going to a new jug.
I also use a lot of Promo & Red Dot.
Be aware, 18 grains of Promo, with a Win 209 primer and Win. WAA12 wad, with 1 1/8th shot,
will yield over 1,300 fps. This was verified at the lab.
MG

· Premium Member
723 Posts
Be aware, 18 grains of Promo, with a Win 209 primer and Win. WAA12 wad, with 1 1/8th shot,
MG

Thanks for the heads up. My full recipe is a Rem GC hull, 1 oz shot, TGT 12 clone wad and, yes, Rem 209P primers from a large supply I bought a while ago.

My point, of course is with the 17 and 18 gr loads as published and both well within conservative pressures, I'm quite comfortable interpolating between the 17 and 18 gr loads, all other variables being equal.

· Registered
178 Posts
MG
Is this shown on the alliant recipe website? I have been loading promo and red dot for years, now mostly promo for 16s and doubles. Rem sts shells, downrange fig 8 and win or cheddite primers. How many grains for 1200fps? The web says 19.0....

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,302 Posts
Ponsness 900
I can’t really help you with that. I do recall using Promo vs. Red Dot required a powder bushing 2 sizes smaller (with everything else being equal) with a MEC to get “approximately” the same velocity. But use your scale, and be sure to measure each new jug of Promo you open. Your mileage may vary...

Jon Reitz

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Is this shown on the alliant recipe website? I have been loading promo and red dot for years, now mostly promo for 16s and doubles. Rem sts shells, downrange fig 8 and win or cheddite primers. How many grains for 1200fps? The web says 19.0....
Sorry,
I did not send in any Remington loads to have tested with those components. If you wish to have that load tested, you will need to hand load to 100% tolerance and send them to the lab.

MG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.