Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On alliants site they have DRXL 1 1/8 w/Fio 616 primers/AA hulls at 1090 17gr and 1200 at 18gr but no 1145. Would it be safe to assume 1145 would be 17.5gr or close to it? Why don't they list 1145?

Another question would be can I substitute DRRF8 for Rem fig 8's when using clays?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Promo is blended to have the same burning rate as Red Dot.

Look at all the Red Dot loads. If it calls for certain amount of Red Dot, it will take the same amount(in weight) of Promo to produce the same load.

The bushings normally will not be the same because of the densities of the two different powders, but not the grains of the powder.

When promo first came out they had no listed loadings for Promo. Alliant said to use the same loadings as for Red Dot.

Ajax

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to their own load data they show red dot for 1090 16gr, 1145 17gr and 1200 at 18gr. Promo is 17gr at 1090. That is not the same as they show for red dot but I would have to assume I would be within the limits.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
DownRange says that the DRRF8 is a Clone of the Figure Eight. I would sub it without worrying. Also 17.5 grains of Promo is in the middle of the other two recipes, and will give you a velocity in the middle of the other two, however not necessarily exactly 1145 fps. It would be a safe load. Mark

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read something the says promo emulates Red Dot but then they put different load data for the 2. I figured I was safe with whatever I used. Thanks for the info. Good site for honest opinions.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
If you change the listed charge weights you risk the Moon leaving orbit and crashing into the Earth. HMB

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Right from the Alliant manual - Promo, Winchester hull, Fio 616, DRXL 1 1/8 ..... 16.0 grs 8900psi= 1090fps, 17grs 10200 psi = 1145 fps, 18.5 grs 10500 psi = 1200fps.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Anyone expecting identical data from even the same load tested at 2 different times in different equipment, measured by 2 different sets of testing equipment, must believe in the tooth fairy.

example: H110 & 296 are the same powder, the difference being the label and the distribution channel.

You will find different data when you look them up. Not by a lot, just different.

HM

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh man there's no tooth fairy. Who then is putting the $5 under my pillow. Now ya did it. I suppose the next thing you will tell me is there is no Santa or Easter Bunny. That would be the end of it all. I'm depressed now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can't find the link that had all the burn rates, I gave mine to the club.

IIRC Promo was right around 700x burn rate.

I'm on my second 8lb er of Promo.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
jmunsell

All of the Fiocchi hulls I have or had on hand have a separate plastic basewad. I've loaded them and never seemed to have trouble using available data. I just never tried to see how many times they could be loaded before they fell apart. Loaded them two or three times and tossed them. Never had one with a loose or migrated basewad, but there always could be a first time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts