Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have any opportunity to bad an 8 lb can of this powder cheap. I was wondering what if any problems people have with this powder. And what recipes people are using......

·
Registered
607 Posts
No problems, load it just like you would red dot. Always check and or weigh your powder charge. Good luck, Tim

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
GOOD stuff & the price is usually lower than RD. As per TD1958 be sure to weigh your powder drops as Promo takes a SMALLER bushing than RD. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Be careful with Promo powder and Fiocchi primers in colder weather. I've loaded over 50lbs of Promo and only had trouble with Fiocchi primers. Every now and then I would get a weak sounding load. Switched to Cheddite and Federal primers and the problem went away.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Clay Dot $96.00 in S.E. Penna. Made that switch after years and years of shooting Hodgdon Clays. $96.00 vs. $124.00 had to try it so went with 2 8# jugs to save a small bit more.

I've always been satisfied with Green Dot and Red Dot and believe Alliant put out a great product. They are very easy to get in touch with for questions.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I paid $85 for 8# kegs last Dec. Just for fun, I used my scale and measured out 25 18gr charges of promo to try. 1 1/8oz and fig 8 wad, worked great! Very happy. I am finishing up my last keg of clay dot before I make the change.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was getting 1170 FPS with 16.3 gr of promo in a 90-T whose bore was .746 and with orange Western wads and Win slate cases. (I sold the gun today)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have shot several kegs of promo. As a matter of fact it took help me be a AA shooter. The only thing I hate about it is it is way dirty. Your action and barrel will be black. I never really paid much attention to it until I switched to clays.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have loaded many 8# Jugs! In cold Temps., I would switch to Fed 209A's and back to Win-209A in spring. Shoot in N. WI. -20 to +32 with no problems. Good Luck. Promo shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
18.7 gr Promo, FIO primer, green duster wad and 1oz of #8. -6°F a couple weeks ago in Wallowa and everything worked just fine. Keeping the pressures up on the Promo powder encourages cleaner burning....... Larry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been using cheddite primers......goin to try to continue using them until I have problems....thanks for all the help!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.