Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started loading promo powder because I couldn't find anything else . I need to go buy some new bushings. It seems to meter much differently than the Clays, Green Dot, Clay Dot. I was trying to get down to 17.5 for 1 1/8. I kept going down in size and it didn't seem to change it much.

Have any of you noticed this ?

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
Takes a #30 bushing on my MEC with the current batch I have.

I've noticed it isn't very consistant on the scales. May fluctuate 1/2 a grain between drops.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting 18.4 out of my 30 Mec, and it's the smallest I have and about the same out of a 441 Hornady......

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick. I dug to find that. It wasn't where I usually look. I called them earlier and the rep didn't mention it, but he said he was new .....

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
To me it seems that the reason Promo is cheaper is that Alliant does not take the final process for each batch to make it like the last. When they get the blend that burns like Red Dot by weight that is it.

I noticed that often different batches needs different bushings.

You will also notice that Alliant does not include Promo in its bushing chart.

So, every one needs to pay their own dues and find the best bushing with each jug of Promo that you open.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I use Promo and have found variances of .3 gr when using the same bushing. Additionally, I have some old and newer MEC bushings (#29 & #30) and find there are differences in the powder weights (as much as 1 gr) thrown by the same # bushings. I have customized a couple bushings to give me the weight range I seek. Ralph

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The powder changes from lot to lot, and the powder bushings are different from one lot to another. Sure makes reloading fun. HMB

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have used promo for years.The new jug I just got made me go down 2 lower bushings for the proper drop.It is metering fine for me now but I could not believe it was that much different. I even got my second set of scales out to check it.

·
Sky Buster
4,029 Posts
If you Gents would install a Universal charge bar, you would'nt
have to mess with bushings. Twist the knob and get exactly what
you want. Works the same with your shot charge. I got rid of
my bushings 20 years ago.

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 for the Universal Charge Bar...
Also, Titewad meters VERY consistently. Very fine round grey flakes much like Ramshot Competition in looks.
You may have to drill out a small bushing and polish the inside of it after drilling in order to get the powder throw you desire. Then mark it for future reference.
Art

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I talked to the Alliant Rep yesterday, I asked him when we would be seeing the common powders. He said they are making powder as fast as they can. He said if you see it on the shelf, you need to buy it ....

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
"When I talked to the Alliant Rep yesterday, I asked him when we would be seeing the common powders. He said they are making powder as fast as they can. He said if you see it on the shelf, you need to buy it ...."

So if no one here is buying it, who is?

BTW - if you're polishing the inside of a bushing to get the powder charge that you want, I would like to have you clean my kitchen

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been using Promo since it was introduced and I check each lot no. I get. It seems to drop within 0.2 gr. which is plenty good for a shotshell and on all the many lots I've had, only occasionally have I changed from a No. 30 bushing. I can live with a few tenths variation or even 0.5 grs. which is about as much as I've seen over all this time, even though I will change the bushing for 0.5 gr. variance. I think the condition of our hulls make as much difference in pressure and velocity as a few tenths grs. of powder. So does the primer type according to all that I read. Ease up on the rocket science gents and just be careful in your loading and consistency of machine operation, no vibrating motors please, and we'll be just fine with Promo. Cheers....

Larrty

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
" Ease up on the rocket science gents and just be careful in your loading and consistency of machine operation, no vibrating motors please, and we'll be just fine with Promo. Cheers.... "

I don't think anyone was talking about rocket science , and you might want to do some research on Spolar loaders they're not like Lee Loadalls....

Cheers mate

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lou,
I believe I missed the reference to Spolar machines, which I think use a little vibrator on the primer feed?? Correct me if I'm wrong don't know if that would be enough to affect the powder drop....I don't own a Spolar but know enough about them not to call them wrong on any of their features. I just wanted to say that I think Promo works just fine through most of the machines available and some people get really hung up on 0.2 grain or so. Please excuse me if I sounded critical of anyone, none intended, and shoot well.

Larry

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Larry,

the vibrating motor on the Spolar loader definitely assists with throwing consistent powder charges. I understand there is a new primer assist motor on the PW's that will probably have a similar result.

My original point was I need to buy some new bushings because it meters SO much differently than any of the other Alliant or Hodgdon powders I've loaded.

"So if no one here is buying it, who is? "

I talked to a component company today about getting on a list for powder. They said they have sold more powder to individuals then they ever had . They cited one individual who bought 18 kegs. WOW...

My apologies

·
Registered
78 Posts
LDAddi and Lou Tenant,
It is very refreshing to see two men that have the ability to show respect for each other in a respectful manner and are men enough to offer the apologies to each other. I applaude you both!! I wish that attitude was more prevalent.

Leb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts