Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using Promo for 7/8 ounce loads in remington or Win hull at 1200 fps? How does it work for you? With Rem hull, Rem primer, and CB grey wad, 16.5 grains Promo pressure shows to be about 8000 PSI...is this load dirty and does it perform well in cold weather?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use that load all the time with Winchester primer. I love it for singles practice and my first shot on doubles.

Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Promo all the time. First...it is dirty!!! No way around that. That is why it is called, "Red Dot's dirty little sister." I shot it all last winter with no problems in 35 to 40 degree weather. I don't shoot much below freezing.
Jim

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Each to his own but I get better performance @ 1250fps. and the recoil out of a P gun is not a problem for me. I also use a Fed. primer to clean-up the 18 grs. of Promo in a AA hull with 7 1/2's. Compare this load with the AA bunker load @ 1325fps.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We see a bit of an issue with the autos and the promo. Red dot is cleaner and E3 was even better. Try to find some if you run a gas gun. The heavier powder loads in promo seem to help a bit with the burn.
In an OU it seems fine at 1200.

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's my regular load. 16.8 grains of promo, chedite primer, claybuster grey wad . Just chronographed a bunch of different shells, Remington gun club, Remington sts and Winchester aa. all chronographed at 1200fps + or - 20 fps.
Doc

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info ...... I'll be using the Promo load in an MX8. Hoping to use it for singles and the first shot on doubles.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
No powder has been dirtier than Rex 2, and Rex 3. That aside, I ran over 2500 rounds through a 391 with no malfunctions!! And when I did clean it, well, I have seen worse. ALL the dirt in the bbl is blown out the next shot.....only the last shot residue remains. With Rex 3, it would literally fall out of the verticle bbl. Although cleanliness is next to Godliness, a "fowling shot" or 2 makes most rifles shoot better as well as most shotguns. I think way to much emphasis is put on "clean" burning powders.......heck, I havent needed a fowling shot in like forever. Plastic buildup IS a different story....clean the choke when you can feel the plastic. Most everyone I shoot with uses Promo, rather than blowing more money out the end of the bbl.....m

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No powder has been dirtier than Rex 2, and Rex 3. That aside, I ran over 2500 rounds through a 391 with no malfunctions!! And when I did clean it, well, I have seen worse. ALL the dirt in the bbl is blown out the next shot.....only the last shot residue remains. With Rex 3, it would literally fall out of the verticle bbl. Although cleanliness is next to Godliness, a "fowling shot" or 2 makes most rifles shoot better as well as most shotguns. I think way to much emphasis is put on "clean" burning powders.......heck, I havent needed a fowling shot in like forever. Plastic buildup IS a different story....clean the choke when you can feel the plastic. Most everyone I shoot with uses Promo, rather than blowing more money out the end of the bbl.....m
I've purchased more than one gun from Merlyn and I can promise you he doesn't worry about cleaning them . LOL Have a good one, buddy.

Steve

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree with 4th Down. I think promo is a little cleaner when it's just a bit hotter. 1250 with 7/8 oz is perfect practice/singles/first shot of doubles load. I prefer American Select for the bunker loads at 1325 or so.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Promo does NOT burn dirty. You are seeing unburned powder cuz the pressure is too low. I'm using 18+/- now and there are some unburned grains. AT 20-21gr it is as clean as anything. You want slow 7/8oz you should be looking at Bullseye

Reactions: Hap MecTweaks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts