Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ,I went from 700x to red dot ,now I use promo for my shot shells ,its all I can find, and works great, but now I want to reload some 38 specials,( 4 grains of 700x or red dot and a 148 grain dewc) like I have for the past 20 years. but on alliants site there are no recipies for promo in 38 specials. ack! what to doooooo anyone have any info??

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
That powder is too fast for a .38spl. I remember there used to be a few light wadcutter loads for red dot, but those seem to have disappeared from the loading books, maybe Alliant changed something.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Bullseye, the Gold Standard for standard 38 Spl loads, is faster than Red Dot. Read the book. Lotsa loads with Red Dot for the 38, same burn speed as Promo.

4 gr for standard loads with 158 gr,, 3.2 for Mid Range with the 148 WC.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
My Winchester book shows red dot as number 8 and Bullseye as number 13, I have seen that comparing different brand books before. If promo makes a good .38spl wadcutter load, that is good to know. These days every option is useful.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
You can substitute the same loads for Red Dot and Promo. A word of caution DO NOT use a powder scoop measure for Red Dot. USE a SCALE only! The loads are the same in Grs. by WEIGHT but, the volume of the two powders will be different!

·
Registered
480 Posts
That powder is too fast for a .38spl. I remember there used to be a few light wadcutter loads for red dot, but those seem to have disappeared from the loading books, maybe Alliant changed something.
Not hardly--Bullseye is a good bit FASTER THAN Promo or Red Dot, and there are PLENTY of "Book Loads" for Bullseye in .38 Special--OP, trying CALLING Alliant & seeing what they recommend.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just another caution: don't confuse Hollow Base WadCutters (HBWC) with the same weight WadCutters (WC). The seating depth in the case is different and the hollow base vs. solid base affects the final case volume as well. Tell us what the purpose of your intended loading is and you can get more suggestions. -Ed

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
3.2 gr will cover any 148 gr pill, HBWC or not. The hollow base wad cutter will indeed take up more space in the case and will increase pressure and velocity, but the aforementioned load is very suitable for the purpose.

I have three target 38's, and all they get fed is a swaged HBWC. I have several kegs of Promo, and use it because both Bullseye and Titegroup are presently made of unobtanium.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I emailed Alliant a few years ago when there was no Bullseye or Red Rot to be found and received the response below.
I deleted my email address to keep the spam to a minimum.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Subject: RE: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form
To: [email protected]

Yes. Promo uses the same charge wt as is recommended for Red Dot.
Thanks for your note.

Ben Amonette
Technical Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:22 PM
To: Alliant Reloading
Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Can Promo be used in 38 Special as Red Dot replacement? Specifically for
the 148gr and 158gr target loads.
Thanks,
Mike