Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a high volume shooter or re-loader but switched to Promo a few years ago (price), just opened a new 8#er, checked drop weight, kinda surprised, had to go down 4, yes four bushing sizes to get same weight. This batch uses the same bushing I had used for 700X for many years.

There was about 1&3\10gr. difference, that would have been a safe but perky load. Average of 10 drops. Alliant isn't kidding when they tell us to check every different batch.

I only shoot a 7\8 oz load so chamber pressure is fairly low, but if someone were close to max it could be a problem. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Promo is a blended powder from other powders that do not make a specific burning rate. One batch is not like the next. Alliant says to weigh each keg for that reason.

Ajax

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I am using a #29 bushing. I don't recall the weight now, but it is what was required. I was using a number 27 with 700X. It is a heavier load than with the 700X though.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Don't forget to roll the container around to redistribute the fine particles.

(yes, another can of worms)

In some cases the fines migrate to the bottom of the keg due to vibration in shipping. This could possibly make a variation from the upper to the lower sections.

This advice is intended only for severely anal retentive idividuals. Others may weigh their powder charges periodically and do whatever they wish.

HM

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I had my MEC grabber I fooled around with bushings. Tape on the inside, honing out the bushing to get the powder drop I wanted. What a pain. I purchased a universal charge bar and it worked great. Would never fool with bushings again!! And yes I check every new 8#er I open. Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts