Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up to trying out a 19.5grn load behind a one ounce jammer xl-1 wad. Been loading up to this by starting out at 18grns. Not too concerned with 'blowing' up the shot pattern some. Just trying to get to the target as fast as I can. Jim

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It would be more helpful to know the rest of the load details. Hull? Primer? I would also suggest checking the data posted on the manufacturer's site. That load might be at or above the max, depending on what the rest of the story (LOAD) is.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Jim- Please consider your thoughts on "getting to the target as quickly as possible". With a calculator, and ignoring the deceleration of the shot, figure out the time difference for shot traveling a 1150, 1200 and 1250 ft/sec to travel the 90 feet before it breaks the target. With a bit more research, you can see that the faster shot decelerate faster than the shot moving slower.

Rather than getting to the target as fast as possible, I would suggest considering such things as pattern effectiveness and recoil are much more important than time to the target.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Fastest Promo 1 oz load with a Jammer is 20.5 grains with a Rem209 primer.

Get you up to 1310fps. 10k plus is the pressure.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pat, how is it that you determine your figures? As the other poster pointed out the max is 20.5 on the Alliant site. I saw that too. Please provide more info. Jim

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
17.5 gr Promo, an XL-1 in an STS hull with 1 oz of 8.5 makes a helluva nice pattern with very little recoil.

I see no reason to load it any faster.

Turns the first bird of doubles into a black cloud of dust....

SW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.