Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for info on promatic skeet machines. our club is looking to replace our old winchesters with new machines. and we are looking at promatic would like the good and bad from the skeet shooters

thanks brian

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
I've never been to a club yet that has Promatic machines, and I've been to quite a few clubs.

You want Laportes or Beomats if you can afford them, they are used by a VAST majority of high volume gun clubs.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
skeet_man do you know what the cost of these 2 machines would be compaired to promatic a pair of promatics seems to be about 8 grand

brian

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have looked at the pats also but they have a larger footprint than some of the others and we have some space restrictions i will have to measure our pattrap machines and see how they will fit in our high houses

brian

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Yep, I can only think of one club using promatic skeet machines.

If you have trap with PAT Traps, the company makes a durable skeet machine and eases spare part issues. A couple of clubs I shoot at has them.

Throws a very nice target (Lawry and Fliers).

Can't remember any broken target issues.

Easy to set height and distance, but a little on the noisy side around the low house.

One club is in Vermont the other in Quebec, and they use them all winter.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Lawry shows $8k for a pair of top of the line 600 target Laportes, and QRP shows Beomat 700s for $8900.

It would be foolish to buy Promatics if they really are $8k per pair (which is probably pretty close, as an internet posting I found said they were $6k/pair back in 2005), and the Laportes can be had for the same $, and the Beomats for a little more.

The Beomat, on a good day and properly adjusted, can throw a SLIGHTLY better target than a Laporte. But the Laportes are MUCH more user friendly in terms of adjustability and adaptability to the conditions.

One of the largest clubs in the North East, Rochester Brooks, has laportes on all their fields. I've shot targets thrown on them in 30-40 mph winds (the remnants of a hurricane a few years ago) that were WORLDS better than the targets I've shot at some clubs on a dead calm day, because they can be quickly and efficiently adjusted to the weather conditions.

I'd take Laporte traps over any other trap any day of the week, and they would be my first choice if I were building my own field or replacing machines at a gun club.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help this is why im asking our skeet crowd is growing past our trap crowd and we need to keep them happy and our old machines are just past there prime at 50 years old i will do some looking into laports and beomats and make some calls monday

thanks brian

·
Supporting Vendor
5,488 Posts
We use two Promatic Ranger 6 Sporting traps at our club. They have been very reliable. They run on 12 volts DC. Small solar panels keeps the batteries up and there is almost no maintenance issues.

The Ranger 6 traps are not Skeet traps. They lack the instant release feature found on the Promatic Skeet machines. The adjustments are not as easy to make as on the Skeet machines.

I think the Promatic 8 Skeet machines will be fine for a small club. We only throw 500 targets a week. We would like to upgrade to the Skeet machines but we cannot justify the cost.

Jim Skeel<br>
P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Supporting Vendor
5,488 Posts
After visiting the Promatic website I believe we have the Club Skeet traps. They sell for $5000 for a pair. These are 12 volt DC machines. They do not have the instant solenoid release. They fire by jogging the motor to put the spring over center. There is a small delay with this type of design.

The Promatic Pro Skeet machines sell for $7850 for a pair. They are 120 volt AC machines. They have the solenoid instant release mechanism. They have a turnbuckle for the height adjustment. They have an 8 column carousel.

For the additional $2850 I would go with the Pro Skeet machines.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
411 Posts
We just bought a pair of Laportes, 6 carousel, for one skeet field, they are working fine after some initial adjustments. Cost was around $8K here in Canada from Lawrys. Also bought the Canterbury wireless voice release system, WOW ! Can't sing enough praise about this setup, best $2K we EVER spent! No more dragging the cord around, no more slow pulls or distracted pullers gabbing. Outstanding !

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
We have just installed two Promatic Skeet machines and they are working superbly. We have had a promatic trap machine (with wobble capability) for about 3 years and it has provided excellent service. Recently, we replaced an old trap machine with another promatic. Promatic machines throw very consistent trap targets (doubles and singles)and are easy to adjust. Don't think Promatics have the problem with cold weather as does machines depending on hydraulics. Worth a try. Ralph

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 200 Promatic sporting clay machines. They have been very reliable and easy to fix. I was offered 2 Promatic skeet machines to try for free. Put them in my busiest houses. They are throwing great targets and the shooters like them. I'm sure I will buy these. The one thing I will say for sure is that service on any Promatic trap is first class. Never a question. They stand behind their product.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I would go Pat machines all the way if it was economically feasible in the slightest.

One spare parts inventory, Little or no maintenance if kept clean, and good resale value.

That said, our club has La Porte skeet and Pat trap machines. It just worked out that way, the first La Portes were put in before Pat had a skeet machine. Our second generation La Portes with the brake motor a very reliable.

HM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Northbrook uses Promatic machines and is very happy with them. I shot the shoot last summer and the targets were excellent. We at Detroit Gun Club are going to give a pair a try in the spring

1 - 16 of 16 Posts