Trapshooters Forum banner

Which Progressive Press Would You Want?

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Spolar has great intro vids on their website & on you tube. Take the time if you haven't already to watch them. Their not short but worth the time. Spolars are a smart investment, try to find used ones for sale. Unlike the many other manufacturers not too many & if you do find one the price is not far from that of a new one. I think that speaks volumes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have (4) Mec 9000 presses, one in each of the competition gauges. They are good for what they cost, Like Jacksback stated they do require some adjusting from time to time to keep them running smooth. The Spolar press is all machined and used roller bearings and brass bushings, the are the Bentley of reloaders, the Mecs are made from a lot of formed steel parts and have no bushings or bearings, but rather relies on grease as a buffer. Mecs get the job done for a fraction of the cost of a Spolar. If I had a unlimited budget I would get one. The real question is how deep do you want to dig into your pockets to reload shells.
Thanks for the info. So from the various replies (thanks everyone!), it sounded like the MEC 9000E main disadvantage is that it requires some adjustment from time to time. Can you tell me how often did you have to adjust yours? An approximate no. will do, just trying to get a feel of it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A Ponsness Warren Patriot..................I own several P/W progressives, and nothing beats them for build quality... A Spolar is a great machine, and very pretty, but is it worth spending the extra?

·
Registered
155 Posts
A Ponsness Warren Patriot..................I own several P/W progressives, and nothing beats them for build quality... A Spolar is a great machine, and very pretty, but is it worth spending the extra?
Ill post a video of it in action if I can figure out how to do that. Maybe later today....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used a Mec 650 and now have a PW 950 elite. Both are good presses as I'm sure the others are, but all require a lot of care and you need to be very aware. Tremendous wrecks can happen with any of the presses and then everything stops and the cleanup and repair begins. Slow and steady wins the race every time. My son and daughter are the only people that shoot my reloads.
Ceil

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Some of the reloaders may be "better", but none of them is appreciably faster than the MEC 9000, or the MEC Grabber if you box your ammo.
I would guess that a PW a Dillon & a Spolar are all faster than a 9000 on shells produced in an hour . Boxing shells takes the same time no matter which loader there loaded on .The Spolar wins the race hands down on how many can be loaded before having to stop and replenish the loader . 400 on 1 oz or 350 on 11/8

Reactions: Gussers

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Never used anything but MEC. Last two purchased were 9000H models....... not sure of your available space but with the 9000H you can set it in a cookie tray and start loading.... does not even have to be bolted down. I load 5 flats a month with no issues..... adjusting on my machines have been minimal. Currently I load Gold Medal, STS and Nitro27 hulls..... only adjustment is powder and shot weights...... Larry

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
I would guess that a PW a Dillon & a Spolar are all faster than a 9000 on shells produced in an hour . Boxing shells takes the same time no matter which loader there loaded on .The Spolar wins the race hands down on how many can be loaded before having to stop and replenish the loader . 400 on 1 oz or 350 on 11/8
Mr. KS-OKIE,
Having loaded on both I can assure you that a Spolar does not reload faster than a Mec.
The highest quality, absolutely! Faster, NO WAY! The cycle time alone is much slower on a Spolar.
MG

41 - 60 of 133 Posts