Trapshooters Forum banner

Which Progressive Press Would You Want?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not enough info to make an informed decision...

Budget, space for reloading, what hulls will be used, how much time can be devoted to loading, and ultimately, how many shell need to be made.
ALL these things make a huge difference in your choice.
lol.

I'm not looking for financial help or interior decorating. Trust that I'll get the $$ and space. What press do you use and why?

I'm collecting Remington hulls now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I load on a RCBS Grand now. Have had MEC 600, 9000, and Hornady Apex previously.
While not hydro/electric assist, the Grand is the best I've used so far.
I can get 150 Primers in the tray and hulls/wads in my bins and have them loaded in 30 minutes. I don't rush and enjoy the process. I load as I go vs mass load, b/c I like the experimentation aspect.
Easy to adjust and parts are free if you need them. Cust svc is great.
Only time will tell if it's my last loader :)
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reloading can be as addicting as shooting for some of us.
Geo.

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
Loading 600 shells is a 2-3 hour process, by the time you deal with the hulls, get organized, load the shells, and get them boxed. Depends on the load and your buying habits, but I'd guess the most $$ savings you'll see is around $75.

Reloading is fun, but it does take time, space, and effort. If you have buddies that want to contribute to the initial cost, take advantage of it - go spolar. You can always add tool heads if someone wants a different load or a different gauge, which is very likely.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
If you're spreading the cost of the reloader between 3-4 shooters, the per-shooter cost-delta between the best/most expensive (Spolar) and the cheapest (MEC) makes the choice obvious. If you later decide you want to add power, you can open your wallets again.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Loading 600 shells is a 2-3 hour process, by the time you deal with the hulls, get organized, load the shells, and get them boxed. Depends on the load and your buying habits, but I'd guess the most $$ savings you'll see is around $75.

Reloading is fun, but it does take time, space, and effort. If you have buddies that want to contribute to the initial cost, take advantage of it - go spolar. You can always add tool heads if someone wants a different load or a different gauge, which is very likely.
From using the reload cost calculator and buying your supplies at the best price you can load close to a premium shell at substantial saving. AA at Walmart are around the $7.50 range and you can reload for around $4. 50.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If money was no object, I'd buy a Spolar. I think the most bang for your buck is a MEC. Either a 9000 or a Grabber. As others have said, you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to keep them running, they are a bit of a Rube Goldberg project. I use a hydraulic Grabber and a 600 jr.

Reactions: VVeidman

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just for thread posterity... My MEC 9000 has an Automate AND Mokemate foot pedal, and I use the large shot and powder bottles. With the shot and powder hoppers and primer tray full, a bin of hulls to my left and a bin of wads to my right, I can comfortably load 400 shells per hour -- and this includes the time required to re-fill shot, powder, primers, wad and hull bins and take the occasional quick break to take a leak.

As others have said, if you buy your components in quantity, you can load quality ammo for about $4.50/box; ammo I'd otherwise pay about $7.00-$7.50 per box for, so I "save" a minimum of $2.50 - $3.00 per box. 400 loads per hour is 16 boxes per hour, so that amounts a $40-$48/hour run rate. No, I won't get rich doing it, but the savings will buy a decent bottle of whiskey, and I do find it relaxing. Plus there is a satisfaction derived from crushing targets with your home-brewed ammo, so it's definitely a win-win-win scenario for me.

(A huge however on cost savings is 28 and 410 -- here you save bigtime, like double to almost triple over 12 ga, so it's definitely worth it if you shoot a lot of sub.)

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
Just for thread posterity... My MEC 9000 has an Automate AND Mokemate foot pedal, and I use the large shot and powder bottles. With the shot and powder hoppers and primer tray full, a bin of hulls to my left and a bin of wads to my right, I can comfortably load 400 shells per hour -- and this includes the time required to re-fill shot, powder, primers, wad and hull bins and take the occasional quick break to take a leak.

As others have said, if you buy your components in quantity, you can load quality ammo for about $4.50/box; ammo I'd otherwise pay about $7.00-$7.50 per box for, so I "save" a minimum of $2.50 - $3.00 per box. 400 loads per hour is 16 boxes per hour, so that amounts a $40-$48/hour run rate. No, I won't get rich doing it, but the savings will buy a decent bottle of whiskey, and I do find it relaxing. Plus there is a satisfaction derived from crushing targets with your home-brewed ammo, so it's definitely a win-win-win scenario for me.

(A huge however on cost savings is 28 and 410 -- here you save bigtime, like double to almost triple over 12 ga, so it's definitely worth it if you shoot a lot of sub.)

Jack, don't forget to include the time you hull-aholics spend sorting through other people's trash ;)

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Been reloading forever & its always a chore but I truly enjoy using my Spolar Gold. Alot of friends have owned many presses over the years & in the end most ended up with Spolars

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Jack, don't forget to include the time you hull-aholics spend sorting through other people's trash ;)
Fair point, but again for thread posterity *I* do not happen to be a hull-whore :D. A while back, I bought a bunch of Rem GN on sale and of course saved my own hulls. They are good for at least 5 or 6 reloads -- a lot of guys go more -- so I'll re-use them until the lips get crispy. And at that rate, I prolly have a lifetime supply :cool:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hello. MEC Grabber...many will say it is not a progressive, but a Grabber is virtually the same as a 9000 but without the headaches and spillage. Flame away and Regards, Ed
I load all my shells on a model 76 Grabber. Well build machine, produces great shells, no plastic, all metal dies, and solid. Can't go wrong with one, in my opinion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO, you really can't go wrong with a MEC 9000, even a used one. MEC has top notch support, their prices are reasonable (parts too) and they make good reloads.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I too am about to buy a progressive reloading press, I've seen posts about Spolar being better than the MEC 9000, can someone elaborate on how is the Spolar better? I've been considering between the 2. My wife and I both shoot and we burn through about 750 shells a week, so the MEC 9000 Automate is very attractive to me as it seems to be less work to reload but I keep hearing about Spolar being better.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Find a local shooter who has one MEC9000 or Spolar and watch them both in action . Look them both over closely and make your decision .

Reactions: LeadThrower

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too am about to buy a progressive reloading press, I've seen posts about Spolar being better than the MEC 9000, can someone elaborate on how is the Spolar better? I've been considering between the 2. My wife and I both shoot and we burn through about 750 shells a week, so the MEC 9000 Automate is very attractive to me as it seems to be less work to reload but I keep hearing about Spolar being better.

Thanks.
I have (4) Mec 9000 presses, one in each of the competition gauges. They are good for what they cost, Like Jacksback stated they do require some adjusting from time to time to keep them running smooth. The Spolar press is all machined and used roller bearings and brass bushings, the are the Bentley of reloaders, the Mecs are made from a lot of formed steel parts and have no bushings or bearings, but rather relies on grease as a buffer. Mecs get the job done for a fraction of the cost of a Spolar. If I had a unlimited budget I would get one. The real question is how deep do you want to dig into your pockets to reload shells.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Thanks.
If you plan to load 39,000 rounds per year (750 X 52 =39,000), get a Spolar. Buy once, cry once. If you don't want to pull the handle buy a Ponsness Warren autodrive for the Spolar.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Thanks.
I started reloading shotgun last year. I like automated reloading machines (I have a two Dillon 650's with PW autodrive) and purchased the MEC 9000 with automate. Like any reloading machine it has a learning curve. I finally got the hang of it and it will crank out quality rounds pretty fast. But...I just never fail in love with the MEC machine. I ordered a Ponsness Warren Patriot with hull feeder and autodrive. I'm back in love. again! It makes factory like rounds and cranks them out. The claimed production rate is 900 per hour. I get about 750-800 per hour. Only thing slowing me down from getting more is stopping to load powder, shot and 200 primers at a time. 750 rounds per hour is pretty easy to do. I'm sure the Spolar is a mighty fine machine but for me I really like my PW. If you shoot 750 rounds a week get something with an autodrive.

21 - 40 of 133 Posts