Trapshooters Forum banner

Which Progressive Press Would You Want?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on a progressive reloader will be used to roll ammo for 3-4 shooters.

Which press would you purchase?

If I've overlooked a manufacturer, please comment. Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
How many shells per week will the 3 to 4 shooters go through?

Reactions: VVeidman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All are new to clay sports, so in the beginning, maybe weekly - 300. But as the guys get hooked like I am, I'd double that.

So 600 a week...

·
Vendor
1,151 Posts
A MEC? Granted, the fanciest one I've used was the 650, but I just was never impressed. I guess it would be the budget friendly route. But I would go with something like a PW or Hornady, if you can/want to afford it. I stepped up from that 650 to a used PW 800B and never looked back, and have since bought a second one in 20 gauge. They are so much more press for the money.

Of course, that's my $.02

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,091 Posts
Are all shooting the same gauge and the same load?

Hornady can't seem to decide if they are in the shotshell reloader business or not. For that reason alone, I'd avoid buying a new 366 - a used one would be okay.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In the beginning yes. Nothing fancy some 1oz loads around 1200fps. We're all going to split the cost of the reloader and I'll be the chimp making ammo.
How are you going to be compensated for loading their ammo? Even with an electric or hydraulic setup, I wouldn't be reloading anyone else's ammo for nothing. I don't care how good a friend they are. Now if it's my wife or girlfriend I'm loading for, that's easy. No doing the dishes for me!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If money is no object, get a Hydro Spolar -- it's the best option out there, but you pay for it.

A lot of guys turn out beautiful reloads with a MEC 9000 + Automate, but you need to have some basic mechanical inclination to keep it in tune. If you are mechanically inclined, the occasional tuning is simple and you will save a boatload of cash over the gold-standard Spolar to put towards components.

Oh, I am mechanically inclined and load on a MEC 9000. But if somebody were giving me one, I'd opt for the Spolar.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If money is no object, get a Hydro Spolar -- it's the best option out there, but you pay for it.

A lot of guys turn out beautiful reloads with a MEC 9000 + Automate, but you need to have some basic mechanical inclination to keep it in tune. If you are mechanically inclined, the occasional tuning is simple and you will save a boatload of cash over the gold-standard Spolar to put towards components.

Oh, I am mechanically inclined and load on a MEC 9000. But if somebody were giving me one, I'd opt for the Spolar.
What Jack said..

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
How are you going to be compensated for loading their ammo? Even with an electric or hydraulic setup, I wouldn't be reloading anyone else's ammo for nothing. I don't care how good a friend they are. Now if it's my wife or girlfriend I'm loading for, that's easy. No doing the dishes for me!
Don't forget liability if something should go wrong with one of those shells, and injuries or damage occur.

Reactions: MDshotgunner

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have the Mec 9000's with the automate. If you are going to load that many shells you don't want to be pulling the handle. Your shoulder will start hurting from loading the shells rather than unloading them.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Not enough info to make an informed decision...

Budget, space for reloading, what hulls will be used, how much time can be devoted to loading, and ultimately, how many shell need to be made.
ALL these things make a huge difference in your choice.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts