Trapshooters Forum banner

Profound but Sad Realization

4151 29
I love this forum as we all buy, sell, trade and advise looking for the perfect combination of equipment which will transform us overnight into the next Derrick Mein. I have had a ball going through innumerable guns looking for Jack’s magic beans. But after 50 years of shooting all disciplines for fun, average and sometimes money I have come to sadly realize that, assuming proper gun fit, when I miss a target it is because (1) my personal shooting system broke down or (2) I didn’t see the target clearly. I am not sure I can live w/ this. If I could just find the perfect choke tube.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,668 Posts
I had the opportunity to have a day of instruction from Leo Harrison. During lunch he asked if I had any questions about his experiences. I asked him, "In Singles, you hardly ever miss. So, how do you miss?" He chucked and answered " Jim, sometimes you just miss."

The takeaway from that was that not every miss is the result of something wrong with your gun or your technique. You just didn't execute the shot. This realization has helped me to move on from a miss and just keep shooting. Over time, if you are doing something wrong it will show up on repeated misses on a particular post and target presentation. Those you can work to correct.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
I've posted poor scores a couple of times for the following reason. I was told we were shooting pitch targets and I load accordingly for that shoot. When you find out they are actually throwing bio degradable targets instead you can get caught off guard and your scores suffer. Answer, load for the shoot as normal but take enough 7 1/2's to shoot the complete event also

· Registered
2,974 Posts
I miss a target it is because (1) my personal shooting system broke down or (2) I didn’t see the target clearly.
Those of us who live in reality land, know, believe and accept this.
I am not sure I can live w/ this.
I/we don’t have to live with it, we can buy all the coolest gear, guns and gadgets to look good sucking. I can sit under my pop up tent w/ a beer & a cigar and talk about the ones that got away with the best of ‘em. So can you.

· Registered
12,996 Posts
I love this forum as we all buy, sell, trade and advise looking for the perfect combination of equipment which will transform us overnight into the next Derrick Mein. I have had a ball going through innumerable guns looking for Jack’s magic beans. But after 50 years of shooting all disciplines for fun, average and sometimes money I have come to sadly realize that, assuming proper gun fit, when I miss a target it is because (1) my personal shooting system broke down or (2) I didn’t see the target clearly. I am not sure I can live w/ this. If I could just find the perfect choke tube.
Ah yes ! Magic beans, magic rocks and the mystical mojo dust ! :) Then if I just had that new fancy whiz bang , high dollar gun, then I would be INSTANTLY transformed into into the next Ray Stafford or Dan Bonillas ! The hard TRUTH is not every basketball player will be Magic Johnson or Larry Bird, and not every baseball player will play like Mickey Mantle ! No matter how much your clubs cost ,it's highly unlikely you will EVER play golf like Arnold Palmer ! Some of us just have to realize we are Mr, or Ms, average trapshooter , be happy with that, and enjoy the game !

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
... (1) my personal shooting system broke down or (2) I didn’t see the target clearly. I am not sure I can live w/ this. If I could just find the perfect choke tube.
Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes on the target and shoot when my gun goes through what I'm looking at. (I'm going shooting tonight.)

· Premium Member
5,179 Posts
Ah yes ! Magic beans, magic rocks and the mystical mojo dust ! :) Then if I just had that new fancy whiz bang , high dollar gun, then I would be INSTANTLY transformed into into the next Ray Stafford or Dan Bonillas ! The hard TRUTH is not every basketball player will be Magic Johnson or Larry Bird, and not every baseball player will play like Mickey Mantle ! No matter how much your clubs cost ,it's highly unlikely you will EVER play golf like Arnold Palmer ! Some of us just have to realize we are Mr, or Ms, average trapshooter , be happy with that, and enjoy the game !
But the cool thing is we still get to shoot & talk to the best shooters and legends in our sport. You can't do that in football, basketball, baseball, golf etc etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.