Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Over the years, I would have liked to have purchased some trap guns on this site but I do not have a FFL nor do I know anyone in the Milwaukee area that does.

Can some one that is knowledgeable about purchasing Shotguns by mail on this site please go through the proper procedure for me?

I have some questions that I'd also like answered if possible?

1. What is usually the standard cost for someone handling the paper work?

2. Can the person with the FFL that the gun is being shipped too purchase the gun for himself rather than calling me when it arrives for pick up?

3. What type of payment should be used, personal check, certified check, money order or something else?

4. If the person selling the gun on this site is not a known regular on here how do you know he or she won't just cash your payment and not send the gun?

5. Should you have a certain amount of time to inspect the gun? If a used gun, can it be shot while the gun is in your possession?

6. Does Gander mountain or Cabella's offer this service, if so, what is their cost?

7. Anyone in the Milwaukee area have an FFL that offers this service?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Steve:

If you buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from someone on this site, the seller may legally ONLY ship the gun to your FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee you do business with and whose name and address you have given the seller). Some FFLs will not accept firearms shipped directly from private sellers, so check ahead of time.

Shipping can be done via FedEx, UPS or USPS. My experience is that FedEx and UPS may require it to be shipped overnight (it lessens the time it's in their possession).

Once your FFL has received the item, he should call you. You will have to comply with Federal and State regulations for transferring the firearm into your name and comply with any Wisconsin waiting period in effect and also other state laws relating to a transfer. This includes completing Form 4473.

The above assumes the seller is not a Wisconsin resident. If he is, you MAY be able to do a direct transfer (no FFL). CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS.

1. There is no standard cost for handling the paperwork. It's whatever your FFL charges you.

2. Why would your FFL want to purchase the gun ? Maybe I don't understand the question.

3. Payment form is up to you and the seller. Most sellers prefer USPS money orders or cashier's checks.

4. You don't. Being a member on here and watching activity should tell you who you can likely trust. If you have doubts, don't do the deal. I've found that a phone conversation with the seller can tell me a lot. You can always do searches on the seller's username and see if he has sold to other people; if so, PM the buyers and ask how things went.

5. Inspection time and whether you can shoot it is entirely up to the seller. Discuss ahead of time. Just remember, if you send it back, you pay the shipping and insurance.

6. I don't know, but if they did I would avoid them because their fee will probably be outrageous. Find a local (to you) FFL and go meet and talk to him. Find out what the fees are ahead of time.

7. I'm in Illinois so cannot answer this one. Maybe you have local friends who deal with a specific FFL.

This ATF webpage has downloadable lists of FFLs who did transfers by state.

https://www.atf.gov/content/statistics-listing-federal-firearms-licensees

Here's another website to check for a dealer:

http://fflgundealers.net/

Gunsamerica also has a FFL finder:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/FFLSearch.htm

Hope this helps. I'm sure I probably forgot something.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Steve: If you check the gun broker.com website you can locate an FFL in your area. You then can call them and ask about the paperwork charges. (Usually $20-$30). I have purchased a number of guns off the internet. Several years ago I purchased a Perazzi MT-6 from a person in Kentucky. I told him I would buy his gun but only if he could make arrangements with a gun shop; so I could pay with a credit card. He agreed and everything went smoothly. (The gun shop that handled the deal did charge me $75 to cover the credit card expense). The credit card gives you some protection if the deal is not what you expected. Bottom line, I will not purchase an expensive gun using anything but a credit card unless I am purchasing it on a face to face deal. Good luck. Ed

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Steve,

I use Rick Kruschka, the gunsmith at Wild Wing Sportsman's Club. Not that close to Milwaukee but up in Campbellsport, near Fond du Lac. He usually charges between $35 and $50 for the transfer. He only accepts from other FFLs and not from private individuals. I am not sure if that is required or his preference. I have bought a few shotguns online with mixed results. Shipping will add another #35 or so if you are paying. Hope this helps. BTW, Wild Wings is a great place for Sporting Clays.

Jim Meverden

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gene:
Thank you for explaining it and answering my questions. I appreciate that you took the time.
Steve

I would also like to thank Ed, Joe, and ysr racer for your help and advice too.
Steve

·
Registered
456 Posts
Steve,

My local Cabelas store charges a flat $25 transfer fee. They accept transfers from both other FFL holders and non-FFL individuals. As for buying online, obviously, it requires due diligence. I think it's a bit paranoid to assume that you can't find excellent deals on top notch firearms online (I have), but you can't tip toe through the tulips wearing rose colored glasses either. Ask questions of the seller. Ask for more and better photos. Check references. On another note, some states require that you pay tax on your new purchase, which is billed at the time of transfer. Some do not. Pay attention to that, or that great deal you just landed may end up losing a lot of it's luster at 8.7%.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have purchased one and sold two shotguns on line.
As I recall the ones I sold were with a 3 day inspection, buyer pays all shipping and FFL charges return policy. Neither buyer contacted me to try to return the guns or complain, so I guess the descriptions I provided were adequate. And yes I did send more photos and answered questions before the deals were done. Neither tried to phone me for more information but I would have been happy to have a conversation. One gun went UPS ground the other USPS priority to FFLs in the buyer's state. One buyer had to change FFL because the original would not accept a shipment from a non-ffl. (This would not have been a problem from my end, because I could have had a local ffl ship it for me, but this would have increased the shipping charges by about $100)
For the one I purchased, I arranged in advance with an FFL to receive it for me and he charged me IIRC $50 to receive it and do the transfer. Since the purchase was made from a seller in state who charged me sales tax no additional sales tax was added, but it would have been had the seller been from out of state (California).
It is common for a non-shooting inspection, because the seller has no way of knowing what you will try to put through the barrel. I know the ones I sold and bought all functioned.
I was happy with the three deals. Just my .02
Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts