Trapshooters Forum banner

Problems with Fiocchi "Grey Box" Primers

3701 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  C-Money
Recently purchased Fiocchi primers in the new grey boxes - my previous ones were in the orange boxes. I have loaded many thousands of the orange box primers without any problems. BUT, with the newer ones in the grey boxes, I have had a large number of primers seating too deep (or perhaps deforming the brass) with resulting light primer hit. Note this is occurring is three guns, not just mine.

Its not the machine - I have replaced nearly the entire primer setup and have re-done the primer seating depth several times according to factory instructions. I called the loader manufacturer and verified everything and found out they really do not care for Fiocchi primers as they do not seem to be uniform in size. In other words, they would prefer if a US brand was used.

As soon as I switched from the "new grey box" Fiocchi primers to the "old orange box" Fiocchi primers, the problem went away. I also loaded about 1000 Cheddite and again, no problems.

ANYONE else experiencing this?
Reactions: Berty
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Recently purchased Fiocchi primers in the new grey boxes - my previous ones were in the orange boxes. I have loaded many thousands of the orange box primers without any problems. BUT, with the newer ones in the grey boxes, I have had a large number of primers seating too deep (or perhaps deforming the brass) with resulting light primer hit. Note this is occurring is three guns, not just mine.

Its not the machine - I have replaced nearly the entire primer setup and have re-done the primer seating depth several times according to factory instructions. I called the loader manufacturer and verified everything and found out they really do not care for Fiocchi primers as they do not seem to be uniform in size. In other words, they would prefer if a US brand was used.

As soon as I switched from the "new grey box" Fiocchi primers to the "old orange box" Fiocchi primers, the problem went away. I also loaded about 1000 Cheddite and again, no problems.

I have the same problem. It looks like light strikes but I am almost certain it is extra hard primer faces. I have contacted the manufacturer and was told they would replace them if they had any. The new silver/grey box primers are less than desirable. I also have tried them in 5 different guns with FTF. I have replaced firing pins and still have the issue. I'll be glad when they are gone. I posted about this a couple months ago and only got the usual know it all replies. Firing pin, spring, send them to me.

· Registered
24 Posts
I've run the grey box Fiochhi primers, about 1K 20 gauge and another 1K 28 gauge thru my old Versamec press and a new Sizemaster 28 gauge press. Ran them all thru a 2 barrel set on my SKB 600 with only 1 FTF. Sent it to SKB in Omaha about a year ago for some other work and had them replace both firing pins / springs just because of it's age. I've run another 2K + with no other issues so maybe you have well used firing pins? Prolly not likely but it might be worth a try.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts

What loader?

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Spolar loader. My personal gun - the K80 - has perhaps 5000 rounds through it so firing pins should be fine.
Spolar presses don’t press the hull onto the primer they press the primer into the hull. Their hull support is on the rim. If the primer inserts hard the bottom of the hull gets concaved. Fiocchi primers are a bit oversized so….

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to the Oregon State Shoot this last weekend and used "old" Fiocchi's in HC reloads. Had several FTF and resulting crappy score. The reloads were generally in once fired hulls with some hulls that were more than once fired.

My conclusion - Quit using Fiocchi primers all together and go to a US primer. No more Fiocchi primers for me.

· Registered
489 Posts
Federal papers sometimes get their heads dished when seating new primers. Not enough to affect them in some of my guns, but they won’t reliably fire in my early (c.1920) Chas Daly SBT. Recently had this gun worked on by a competent smith, so it’s not the firing pin or spring.

· Premium Member
30 Posts
I had so many FTF’s that I was taking losses Two weeks ago. Squad member next to me also having FTF’s useing Fiocchi‘s

· Registered
344 Posts
I shot 5000 of the old Red box F 616 without a problem. With the new Grey box primers I have FTF in a 686 and a 725 trap. Looks like light strikes but if you refire them most work. Maybe one out of 20. Called Fiocchi and they offered a refund. He reluctantly said there have a number of the same issues reported.
That said they all work in my TMX has no issues with them.
There is a problem with the Grey box primers for sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.