Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load on a Spolar for a long time now and this is the first time with this particular problem. I load Fiocchi primers and have loaded many many thousands of them. For some reason, I will get a primer that seats too deep into a hull (Remington mostly, some Federal Papers) with a resulting light hit that occasionally will fire on a second try. This is repeatable in other guns, not just mine. I would guess one every 75-100 rounds.

I have gone through the Spolar troubleshooting video and am adjusting the seating depth correctly - any ideas?

Confidence in my reloads is not very high right now.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I load on a Spolar for a long time now and this is the first time with this particular problem. I load Fiocchi primers and have loaded many many thousands of them. For some reason, I will get a primer that seats too deep into a hull (Remington mostly, some Federal Papers) with a resulting light hit that occasionally will fire on a second try. This is repeatable in other guns, not just mine. I would guess one every 75-100 rounds.

I have gone through the Spolar troubleshooting video and am adjusting the seating depth correctly - any ideas?

Confidence in my reloads is not very high right now.
Check to see if there is a piece of shot on the primer setting post.
Don

· Registered
3,481 Posts
I don't believe the primer is set deep enough. The first hit will seat the primer and the second strike will set it off.
I ran into the trouble with the Fiocchi primer and Remington cases also. Go the other way.

· Registered
566 Posts
Having the same trouble with Fiocchi primers. Had 6 -7 missfires over the weekend out of 500 targets. I believe it is a combination of problems with me. First the primers a have a flat top and I think some are very hard, Second some get seated too deeply, and third the lower firing pin on my Perazzi may be worn some. Put a new firing pin in the lower barrel, so we will see. Never a problem on the top barrel. Only have a few left and will be glad to use something else.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
AFAIK,the Fiocchi primers are a bit wider,once loaded in a Rem or Fed hull,you really have to keep using the same hull &
primer,once you change to a U.S.made primer you will have a looser primer pocket.IMHO.I would run out the existing,hulls and primers and go with the U.S. made stuff?

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Having the same trouble with Fiocchi primers. Had 6 -7 missfires over the weekend out of 500 targets. I believe it is a combination of problems with me. First the primers a have a flat top and I think some are very hard, Second some get seated too deeply, and third the lower firing pin on my Perazzi may be worn some. Put a new firing pin in the lower barrel, so we will see. Never a problem on the top barrel. Only have a few left and will be glad to use something else.
Its a fact, different primers not only have varied dimensions but they will also have different cup thickness. If your primers are seated correctly I'd look to my gun f pin or hammer spring.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am slowly eliminating causes and I think it may be the primer. Have loaded a few boxes with the "old" Fiocchi (orange box), Cheddite and Federal primers. We are putting the shells through at least three different guns so maybe figure this out soon.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just returned from the range and shot 200 rounds through three different guns - no problems. The only thing different was primers. Seems that the "new" Fiocchi primers (gray box) are not consistent as the earlier ones (orange box) and, in my case, cause numerous misfires apparently due to inconsistent size and resulting inconsistent seating depth.

Anyone else have this problem?

· Registered
1,093 Posts
You could check and make sure the primer weight is not set too high on the primer shaft or the set screw has come loose enough for the weight to float on the shaft,if this happens,it can hit the bottom of the primer block sleeve and cause erratic primer seating.Also check and make sure the primer cup hold down bolt has not come loose.You can also check and make sure the whole prime assembly bolts are tight.Another thing is to make sure you have cleaned and lubed the
primer shaft with Hornady One Shot,you should be able to put the press plate in the up position and the primer shaft should go up and down using your fingers without,any binding effort?

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Sure use one shot & only one shot to clean but never lube the primer shaft,it should be dry. Also depending on your machines age Spolar has updated both the primer shaft & it’s guide to all steel with closer tolerances

· Registered
1,093 Posts
This is news to me,but of course my unit is 18-19,years old,so unless I replace the primer block sleeve and primer shaft,this won't apply to me?I have had to replace the primer block sleeve once as the sleeve inside of it wore to a point of causing a very slight bind at times and would miss align the shaft to a point of binding,but it was not normally,trouble,effecting?

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was so frustrated that I replaced my entire priming system from the primer shaft with new cup and bolt to the male/female primer slide and even the swing arm hub and swing arm spacer. And I re-set the primer depth several times. Nothing cured he problem.

Thinking it may be multiple loaded hulls, I separated once fired (Remington & Federal papers) reloaded the "new" Fiocchi primers and the problem persisted.

At this point, I tried Cheddite primers and the "old" Fiocchi primers and the problem seems to have gone away. I will now load a few thousand and see if that cures the problem. I might even use some of my precious Winchester primers too.

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
This is news to me,but of course my unit is 18-19,years old,so unless I replace the primer block sleeve and primer shaft,this won't apply to me?I have had to replace the primer block sleeve once as the sleeve inside of it wore to a point of causing a very slight bind at times and would miss align the shaft to a point of binding,but it was not normally,trouble,effecting?
Old as is mine. Everything on these machines is so precise yet I believe the priming system as with most loaders is the Achilles heel. But as perfect as perfect gets considering what it does when running at speed. When I read on their website that an improved system was available I jumped on it.
Not that this is related to your problem, I Just thought it was worth mentioning.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
I have always used One Shot on the primer shaft [ not the recent new set up ] and have had very good results.I did have a sporatic problem using Cheddite's.About 1-3 times in a full primer tray loading,the female primer tract would jam a primer against the one going to be dropped and lock the next one behind it to jam them both together,so you could not
move them.As the female primer tract retracted it would free up the jam and would go on for the most part,normally? I then went to Win primers and no failures,so I thought this must be it,wrong!I was blaming the primers,but I found out after 8- months,why,kind of by accident.I bumped with my hand the primer swing arm hub and saw it move a little.I found the
swing arm hub bolt # 61 had loosened up about 1/8 th of a turn.I blue lock tightened the bolt and no more jam problems.The loose bolt would cause the swing arm hub # 34 to float at times causing the female primer slide also to float.Some times you can go on to part replacement's,but you may or may not hit, the problem,it is better to try one thing at a time and keep going,I know it can be a hassle to do this!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.