Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't reloaded any shells on my 9000g w/automate since middle of January because of surgeries and this being Saturday night thought it would be a good idea to make a few boxes for practice tomorrow. The thought was good but mechanical problems surfaced almost immediately. As of this moment the automate functions good on the down stroke and when it nears the top of the return stroke everything comes to a screeching halt. The carrier is stuck and won't move until I remove all the shells and clean up the mess and reconnect the device that pulls the carrier to the next station.
On several occasions when this happened I shook the machine and it finished the cycle. Other times I could get it to cycle again by tapping on the trip rod/wad guide that is shown on page 28, photo 61 of the MEC publication. Can't call MEC until Monday morning so I thought someone here could shed some lite for a quick fix. Thanks in advance. Bob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something is binding the turret. On mine it is usually the primer. The collet will pop a little

when opening and it is just enough to unsettle the new primer right before it rotates.

Good luck, Dan

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is your resizing collet lubed up well? Sometimes it will 'jump' on the upstroke if it isn't. Use the graphite lube MEC provides for this. I use a Q-tip to apply it.

Tim

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Try some WD or Rem-Oil in there with the shot and powder bottles empty. Cycle it after you spray it and see if that helps.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Take the old primer tube out of the collect. Then clean thoroughly with thinner. Then apply no seize with a Q-tip all over it. Do not forget to lube it when the loader is in the down position as well.

GS

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for responding guys as you have given me some clues where to look. I did notice yesterday that the primer was really jumping around a bit just as the turret was beginning to move. Couldn't get more than a few shells loaded before hell broke loose again. Blew 3 fuses and lots of spilled powder and shot. My 9000g w/automate is only 2 years old and I doubt I have loaded more than 1500 shells through it. Hope to report your recommendations worked. Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problems continue but not as bad as yesterday. Spent the whole afternoon today trying to figure out why my reloader is having so many problems now after 2 years of flawless service. This machine is my 3rd since 1990 so I'm no stranger to them. As suggested the collet was inspected and plenty of factory grease was still doing it's job but I added a tad
more to make sure. Right or wrong I played around and made some adjustments based on the book that came with the reloader. Even though progress was made today the downward stroke is flawless, the collet is super smooth and quite but upward stroke not solved as of yet. The upward stroke now stops about 1/2 inch from the top and then it slowly travels slowly that extra 1/2 inch. I now suspect a "timing problem" or problem with the hydraulic cylinder but who knows, it's time to call the MEC doctor. I'll call MEC
tomorrow. Bob

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Depending on what type of shells you are loading - check the primer station. Once in a while a primer won't competely seat for me and the shell plate won't advance on the upstroke. I don't have the automate so I don't experience the shot spilling dilemma you do. I just have to stop the upstroke motion and jiggle the shell plate and/or tip the shell slightly at the primer station.

Good luck. Nothing more exasperating than when the reloader doesn't run smoothly. Hope you've put your reloader set up in a baking pan to control the shot spilliage. I waited 30 years to do this -

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem continues even after speaking with the MEC Rep today. Soon as I gave him some basic info he said put the machine in "service mode" as outlined on the reloader and look at the back of the frame the carrier sits on and most likely it needs to be cleaned and fresh grease applied. Did that as well and I thoroughly cleaned the collett too. No change whatsoever. Something" is binding the reloader when it gets to 1/2 inch from the top of the final stroke. Everything is humming along just fine until it hits the brakes with a half inch to go and then creeps to the end. Haven't attempted to reload any shells as long as this condition persist. Little tired of cleaning up spilled shot and powder. I'll talk to the MEC Rep again tomorrow and study the operating info again hoping to find a clue where the problem lies. Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Henry, can you please define your comments a little more. Reason I'm asking is because I had the same thought today. Here's an update: Have gone back and forth with the MEC people seeking clues and Rob gave me an idea yesterday to disconnect the long rod that connects to the large wheel under the machine and work the cycle without the auto mate. I did this about 6 times and I was then convinced I did not have a binding problem as previously thought. I reconnected the rod to see if there was any change and got the shock of my life, it started working again, going straight to the top. Went through about 20 cycles and it appeared this nightmare was over but I'm not convinced it is. I personally think the large wheel when it reaches it's top should be at 12:00 o-clock not 11:30 or 11:45. This wheel has a direct bearing on whether "both" lights come on or not. I was going to make the adjustment but MEC had already closed so I couldn't get their opinion.

Not knowing how this mess got started or what caused it I was feeling good until I tried to run some empty shells through stations one thru 3. The brass on every shell came out badly rounded so here we go again with another problem. Looks like I need to box the reloader and ship to Mayville. Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like you have something in the collet sizing fingers. Try pushing an empty into the sizing station and make sure the empty drops the whole way into the sizing collet.
Just a possibility of a piece of shot stuck in the fingers.
Gary

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Bob, when you get those rounded hulls coming out of the shell resizer (1st station) it is more than likely that you have spilled some shot down into the collet. It helps to take a really thin sized knife and try to clean out the shot out of the collet slots. I just go ahead and clean them all usually it takes care of the 'rounded' brass on your shells.

This is a good reloader, so don't give up on it.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Make sure theres no grease on the INSIDE of the resize collet or the tube inside it, grease the outside only and i would examine the collet for a piece of shot like berettablaster said, also lube the roller on the bottom of the main column were the collet fork rides, mine does this after sitting for a month or so, lube needs to be in the right places, good luck Steve

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Take a step back,
Take a breath

And then start again checking settings and looking for some errant shot being somewhere it should not be.

Might even check to make sure it is not shearing one of the pivot bolts on the linkage..

Good Luck.

DGH

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
After too many and frequent 9000G issues, I gave up and disconnected the automatic indexing feature, thereby converting it to a Grabber configuration. This way, I have total manual control of the loading process. Keeps the loader from dropping powder and shot as long as I watch for successful primer drop before manually indexing. Sacrifices a little speed which I was losing anyway cleaning up messes and fiddling with adjustments. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Frustration has finally set in and before it gets any worse I've decided to put all my tools away, cleaned up my work bench and needless to say had a few choice words for this grief giving reloader. It's clear to me I need professional help getting this reloader working again and back on my bench.
With that being said I was able to locate a repair facility locally and I'll drop it off tomorrow. I'll keep you posted when repaired. Thanks once again for the many responses. Bob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you look at the sizing collet? I am 99.99% sure that is your problem. It only take 1 piece of shot to create problems with the collet. Either that or a broken finger. In the center of the collet is a tube that the empty hull sits on before sizing the hull. Pull that out of the collet and try to look in there with a flashlight. Look for debris or a broken finger. If possible use an air compressor to blow out the collet. Or pay someone to fix the machine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts