Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty much always bought 1 1/8oz #8 targets loads. Recoil has never been an issue for me. But, I am curious how much if any pattern density loss could be expected if I switch to 1oz loads?
I know this maybe similar to a 7 1/2 vs 8 thread but that isn't my intent. Logically less shot of the same size should have an effect on the pattern..right?

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
If your worried about pellet count? Switch to 8 1/2 shot for singles, or tighten your choke to the next level. If your already using a IM choke for singles I'd stick that that choke until you get enough targets to re-check your current average's with. Then you'll know if the switch to one oz loads works for you. Average's don't lie. break em all jeff

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
I was just thinking since my daughter bought a 12g last week and will be shooting the 1oz loads, I was debating switching just so we don't have 2 cases open at a time. And should we start reloading to keep it simple

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Thanks guys
I was just thinking since my daughter bought a 12g last week and will be shooting the 1oz loads, I was debating switching just so we don't have 2 cases open at a time. And should we start reloading to keep it simple
I scoffed at reloading at one point, mainly because pulling a handle was aggravating my rotator cuff, but also because I had a readily supply of Estate Super Sports.

Fast forward about a year and no thanks to Academy Sports, who pushed me into my LGS to purchase a MEC9000E and I'm telling you, nothing beats the consistency and confidence this instills into your shooting. Knowing that you're loading better components and more consistent loads is priceless and add's a huge boost to your mental game. Smelling that smoke as it rolls outta your barrel knowing that "I made this" is priceless.

I've went back and fourth on 1oz vs 1-1/8 and can honestly say there isn't a dang bit of difference in my singles shooting. None. The only difference I notice is that a shot bottle doesn't empty near as fast. Having said that, I will not load any less than one ounce. Some will say the 7/8 or whatever will work, and it will but I'm not going that route.

I load two hulls. Both remmies, STS 1oz or 1-1/8 depending on my mood for singles and 1st shot. Nitro's at 1-1/8 for caps. Simple and easy to ID. Load about 500 each and wait until I'm down to about half to load more. Keeps things simple, organized and fun.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm working a deal to buy the Mec 650 (I think) progressive loader that my uncle has in my grandmas basement. We reloaded with it back in the early- mid 90s. So, I have been hemhawing around about getting back into it. Not so sure it really saves too much money now or not. Back then we reloaded for about 2.50/box.
But since I got back into trap shooting last summer, I have 3 or 4 buckets full of Gun Club hulls. Might as well do something with them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7.5 or 8? Mod or IM or Full? 1 1/8 or 1 ounce? The correct answer, my brothers, is more practice.
Well I've pretty much always used 8s for targets. Mostly I've used a Mod choke, but have also used Full a good bit since last fall.

Either way I tend to agree with more practice. Hope to get more practice as soon as our Mayor loosens restrictions and the close to home club opens back up. We been missing hangin out there

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
if you center your shot, there's little, if any difference between the two.
The reason we know there is a difference is the wonderful analysis tools available to us and great testing methods put forth by some greats.

A more accurate phrase might be, "if you center your shot, there could be a large enough difference to matter to you. You will need to check through testing and analysis to know how much".

Because the statement was made without regard to pattern performance I think you would be inclined to agree that we don't know how bad the change will be.

Shooting at targets that you moved on well and saw well but didn't hit is a recipe for frustration and can lead to trying to solve things that aren't there to solve...causing more problems.

But then you also need to know where your line is. Is 99% hit probability in the inner 10" acceptable? For some it sure might be. Is 90% acceptable? Maybe.

Speaking from my experience where I've lost events by one bird (R/U handicap champ at state....twice....and R/U singles champ at state are fine trophies on my shelf but I'd rather they be one clay higher and able to shoot off for champ) I can tell you I would like the center of my pattern when its been pointed correctly to always break the bird. Not...usually...or most likely...or even..almost always.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
@Rabbit-hunter to answer your question, yes it will affect the pattern because you reduced the payload.

The rules allow the use of no more than 1 1/8 ounce, so that’s all I use. There’s a reason for the rule. There’s also a speed limit to that payload, and there’s also a reason for that.

I look at it logically: 1 1/8 ounce is the limit, because anything more was determined to be an advantage. So therefore, 1 1/8 ounce is less of an advantage. Why? Smaller payload.
Now, some say 1 ounce performs the same as 1 1/8 ounce. Some then say that 7/8 ounce is as effective as 1 ounce. Crushes target, patterns beautifully, and no recoil!
By this logic you can keep decreasing payload, get less recoil, and never lose effectiveness..... wow.

They’re all just as effective, until they’re not.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,186 Posts
I normally use 1 1/8 oz 1145 FPS Estate Super Sport Competition Target loads 8 shot, for competition singles. But I practice with 1 oz 1180 FPS Estate Super Sport competition target loads. 8 shot. Smokes the birds if I center the shot. Since I shoot a lot of practice rounds the recoil is a little better on my shoulder. And it forces me to center my shots. Good practice. Oh and I shoot an improved modified in my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen special. With the X Trap barrels.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Since I shoot a lot of practice rounds the recoil is a little better on my shoulder. And it forces me to center my shots. Good practice.
I’ve never understood why someone would practice differently than they would compete. Seems to me it defeats the purpose.

Pretty good article

Reloading for Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays: The Right Load - Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation

“How much shot is enough? It depends on the target, but it is a proven fact that no more than 24 grams or 7/8 oz. shot is necessary to cleanly break the most difficult trap targets thrown in competition, that being International Trap Competition. That game started with 1 1/8 oz. of shot and went to 1 oz. because scores were too high. Scores went up, so they decided to again drop the amount of shot to lessen scores. They went to 24 grams (approximately 7/8 oz.), and scores rose again!

What does that teach us? The lesser amount of shot is still more than adequate, but recoil has been significantly reduced, and we are better able to keep our heads on the stock, and thus produce better scores.”

·
Keystone Shooter
2,186 Posts
Pat I practice with the one oz because it makes me Center my shot. Also since I may shoot 5 maybe six rounds or more practicing it’s a little, not much, better on my shoulder. I’m getting old!

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Pat I practice with the one oz because it makes me Center my shot. Also since I may shoot 5 maybe six rounds or more practicing it’s a little, not much, better on my shoulder. I’m getting old!
Then why in the world wouldn't you use the round that makes you center your shot ALL THE TIME?

I'm going to go on a limb here and make an assumption based off my short time of competitive shooting....some may think it's all talk from my butt - BUT - I believe it and that's all that matters.

You can burn a flat of any given load for "practice" (notice I placed practice inside quotations because it's not practice if it's different than your competitive mindset) then competition day arrives as you step up to the line and throw a different shell in your gun; a minimum of two things are going to happen...

Right off the bat your brain will somewhat relax and allow you to get lazy based on the extra payload. A mental game at best. Then you're going to pull the trigger and snap your brain back into the reality that nothing feels as it did in "practice", which you've shot a great deal more targets in doing so. After that rude awakening, you try to convince yourself that you have an advantage of extra payload but 60 targets in you're trying to figure out why your gun doesn't feel as if it's moving the same as it did in "practice" because the fatigue from recoil is starting to set in.

I've had a coach. He taught me a few things for which I'm grateful but I had it inside me from the start. You have to listen to your body. You have to trust your brain. Your body's telling you it doesn't like the added recoil. You may think you have control over centering your shot but it's your brain that's controlling your muscles. Your eyes see it, your brain interprets it, controlling the muscles to complete the sequence. Your "practice" has confirmed you can center your shot with the one ounce loads but it seems to me you're trying to override that natural sequence by adding additional payload for no other reason than to relax, which in reality, may have the total opposite affect on the entire process I just described.

This could truly be as simple as "More soldiers into battle" doing nothing more than raising casualties.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I’ve never understood why someone would practice differently than they would compete. Seems to me it defeats the purpose.
Your pre-shot, gun mount, and move to the target don't care which shell you drop in the tube. Using a Jordan wall chart uses no ammo but is considered an effective practice tool.

The 1 ounce vs 1.125 oz matters most when you believe it does. Otherwise, not so much.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I've said this before when this subject has come up.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!

The best shooters will beat your ass with either one!

Quit worrying about this kind of stuff and instead put your energies into becoming the best shooter you can be.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,186 Posts
Pat I believe everything you said. And it’s probably true. Maybe I should be using the one oz all the time. I have been contemplating just that idea now, since we’ve been off so long. But again, as you said, it’s nice to have more soldiers going into the battle as a general. And maybe it’s all a mental thing. Just like everything else in this game. 90% mental.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Your pre-shot, gun mount, and move to the target don't care which shell you drop in the tube. Using a Jordan wall chart uses no ammo but is considered an effective practice tool.

The 1 ounce vs 1.125 oz matters most when you believe it does. Otherwise, not so much.
Irrelevant to the point but I do feel it's a valuable part of the entire practice regimen but even at that, none of it accounts for the effects of recoil.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts