Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been hashed out several times, but.....Shot registered shoot this week-end at local club. Won "A" class on Saturday with a 100. My "prize" - 4 boxes of shells. Cost me $37 to shoot plus 4 boxes of shells, lets say @ $7.00 bx for a total $65 to win $28 worth of shells, so only cost me $37.00 to "win". I am really not complaining, (well maybe a little), but seems to me prize for winning should be worth more than the cost of shooting. Attendance has been declining at club over the past few years, wonder why......How about at your club??

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Compared to some clubs 4 boxes of shells is not too bad,It is better that a coffee cup or coffee go cup with the event printed on it.At my local club we give out various trophys from knives to silver ect. You will find that return on investment for a win in a lot of sports will not balance out. Consider motorcycle racing,stock car racing,and a whole host of other sports.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Work on your golf swing. The purse for this weeks PGA championship is 10 million dollars.
Plus when you finish the round you get to keep your golf ball. Not like the shooting
sports where the club gets to keep your lead. HMB

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
what George said.

Rick in MT

Prizes are getting to be more and more a joke.

I was camping in MT last week and have several tables that I won at shoots here that I am still using.
they were for sure more than a case of shells.
whats up with that?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
At our local clubs the trophy's vary from money to very nice shamrock shooting bags to" targets only" shoots, to flats of shells,we have a couple clubs in northern Il with perpetual purses that have 4-8k in them,one such club with a very good perpetual purse program has sponsors and at the last shoot it had around 8k in it.
The truth is our local shoots have better payouts then many state shoots.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Here is a good starting point. $30.00 for 100 targets divided by 4 rounds = $7.50 per 25. Split $2.50 for the cost of targets, $2.50 to throw them and $2.50 for prizes. This gives the club $10.00 per entry for trophies. 25 entries puts $250.00 in the prize fund split 5 ways AA-D, generates a budget of $50.00 per class. This assumes all volunteer crew.

How many shooters were at the shoot?

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Back in the good old days at the Lethbridge Alberta Trap Club, we had a policy that our prizes were worth double the event entry fee and our HAA was worth 3 or 4 time as much (or more if we could get it sponsored). Our shoots were well attended. The steak dinners could have had something to do with it too.

Ron Burr

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
At our little club in Mt. the last two years we gave out custom hunting knives for champions and yardage winners . The best prizes I've seen in the last two years of shooting anywhere.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I know this has been hashed out several times, but.....Shot registered shoot this week-end at local club. Won "A" class on Saturday with a 100. My "prize" - 4 boxes of shells. Cost me $37 to shoot plus 4 boxes of shells, lets say @ $7.00 bx for a total $65 to win $28 worth of shells, so only cost me $37.00 to "win". I am really not complaining, (well maybe a little), but seems to me prize for winning should be worth more than the cost of shooting. Attendance has been declining at club over the past few years, wonder why......How about at your club??
wait till you win a fly swatter like I did a one shoot. then you will have something to bitch about. but it did have a flower attached to the center of it.

jack mc

·
Banned
890 Posts
Why do you have to "win" something to be successful at shooting?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
If you're shooting for fun enjoy that you got a little something back at all.

If you're trying to make money shooting, you're probably in the wrong business.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do shoot for fun, thankful for what ever I happen to win. Don't have to "win" to be successful. But, I can shoot non-registered with friends and family for a whole lot less than registered. Our local club stopped registered shoots due to lack of attendance, other clubs I shoot are experiencing decreasing attendance also. Perhaps better prizes for winning might help, think?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
zzoom, was that "my" 687 that helped you break the 100??

And I agree with your winnings. If targets are $37, there should be more than 4 boxes for your 100 (unless there were a bunch of you tied and you had to divide the shells.) ATA shoots with $20-25 targets can be forgiven for small (or no) awards...but not with $37 birds.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What bothers me are clubs that charge the same price when there no trophies as when there are.
Then they complain about low turn out at the shoots with no trophies. I shoot at a couple of clubs
that never have trophies but are very reasonable priced. A low cost way for shooters to get targets if they need them.
Bud

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Gosh darn it. If these clubs would just switch to 3-hole targets, there'd be so much money in this sport, the IRS would be all over us.

Bob Falfa

1 - 18 of 18 Posts