Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the Winchester primers do this,but not the factory Remington.
The center of the fired Winchesters are pushed outward, where the Remington are not . Any ideas for this?
Loading 17 grains of 700x, CB 8118, 1 1/8 of shot.
20201021_062651.jpg
20201021_062719.jpg

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Yep. There's a drill bit that fits perfectly into the remington hull primer pocket that will eliminate the problem permanently. Takes a little time but works. Someone will come along with the bit size.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Yep. There's a drill bit that fits perfectly into the remington hull primer pocket that will eliminate the problem permanently. Takes a little time but works. Someone will come along with the bit size.
Is that the deal where you remove the bit of plastic that bothers non-remington primers but doesnt cause issues for remington primers? Thin I read that on SGW.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
^^^^^

I agree. From the photos I do not see anything unusal about the primers.
I dunno quite what dustydoo is referring about the "center of the primer pushing out", it would be the entire primer pushed back out. Some may not experience this, many have. The left primer is the Remington primer, notice the longer radius on the top of the primer. Much like you would set the final station on your Mec to radius the shell. Most other primers are more flat at this point, and WILL catch and hold up on that plastic at the upper end of the primer pocket on GunClub hulls. Most just set their springs tighter on station 2 to remedy this issue. YMMV if you use another brand of loader.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Most reloaders can tell the difference between a Remington and a Winchester primer. The OP's question is simply not very precise. If he was having trouble seating primers saying so and providing a photo of the primer sticking out of the back of the hull would have been useful. Showing pictures of three normal primers tells you nothing about the "center of the primer pushing out." The OP does not even identify what kind of hull he is using. Also, the OP says this happens when the shells are fired. This does not indicate a seating problem. Poorly worded question.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a seating problem, I use the Winchester primers in AA, Remington gun club, and STS hulls. Not that I can see what this matters. The very center of the fired Winchester primers is forced outward from the primer going off. Or is it a pressure sign?I am having trouble getting a clear photo of what I was describing. It looks slightly similar to a crimp unrolling.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Dam I must be dumb. By showing the primers I thought the OP was wondering why the flash hole expanded wider on the Winchester than prior to firing but did not on the Remington.

Sure didnt comprehend his question/concern was about the Winchester not fitting flush like the Remington in a Remington case.

I have noticed the Winchester primers do this,but not the factory Remington.
The center of the fired Winchesters are pushed outward, where the Remington are not . Any ideas for this?
Loading 17 grains of 700x, CB 8118, 1 1/8 of shot. View attachment 1720179 View attachment 1720180
To your question.

Most likely do to the little extra heat that Winchester primers generate over Remington but more probable that the area around the flash hole is thinner.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
To save me some time what diameter drill bit to use for clearing the plastic on Sts hulls?
I use a #1 (0.228") but 15/64 (0.234") will work just fine and not take any metal out.

Reactions: 10tenner

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
OK. Maybe I understand what he's trying to explain??? The Win. primer is installed correctly when the shell is assembled. He loads the shell and fires it. The Win. primer that was flush to the shell is now coming back outward when he opens his shotgun???

If this is the case. I would bet at some point in time. This hull was reloaded with a oversized European type primer. A Nobel Sport or a Rio Primer, I expect. If this is the case then the American sized Win. primers will continue to fall out. This hull must now have oversized primers if you want to continue reloading the hull!!! I think this is what is happening??? Mmm break em all jeff

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
OK. Maybe I understand what he's trying to explain??? The Win. primer is installed correctly when the shell is assembled. He loads the shell and fires it. The Win. primer that was flush to the shell is now coming back outward when he opens his shotgun???

If this is the case. I would bet at some point in time. This hull was reloaded with a oversized European type primer. A Nobel Sport or a Rio Primer, I expect. If this is the case then the American sized Win. primers will continue to fall out. This hull must now have oversized primers if you want to continue reloading the hull!!! I think this is what is happening??? Mmm break em all jeff
I misunderstood his original intent also. His pic is of the top of the primer, the fired side. I think he is asking about why the Winchesters seem to "open up" more than the Remington. I think after this reply, I'm gonna go get some popcorn and enjoy the replies, and see how wrong I was again.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dirt stirrer, your wording is spot on , thanks!
Yes why is the center opening more on the Winchester than the Remington

1 - 20 of 32 Posts