Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
485 Posts
15yrs for me.

Life, Job changes, a couple kid's college educations got in the way and now I have a Dentist and a new gun and back to shooting for 3 yrs now.

Primers, powder, lead and shells all good when I got back to shotgun.
The replacement cost sucked though :( !

· Registered
691 Posts
If you need a safe place to store them I can handle it for you.I will keep them

dust free and also make sure they work by testing a few hundred every other week.

All of this at no charge to you. Ken U

· Registered
3,671 Posts
I have some old 45-70 shells from the early 1900s---They still go bang and accurate out of my Trapdoor----Have you ever wonder why,if found a WW1 or WW2 ammo or bomb,how the say stay clear----I have primers from the early 60s that I still use for my practice loads and still no misfire---Don't worry---hoard them---I just bought 5000 Win primers @ $150.00 amd told the price will go up if you can get [email protected]

· Registered
817 Posts
I just finished up a batch of the old Remington *97 primers year before last. I quit shooting trap in 1973 and I purchased them sometime before that. My Red Dot powder had faded out to a very light pink over the years, but both powder and primers worked perfectly when I started back to shooting in 2009 when my grandson got interested in shooting trap. Storage conditions I have is a cool, dry basement that didn't have much over 15 - 20 degrees of temperature change during the year.

· Banned
1,793 Posts
I rely on 70 yr old primers every grouse season. Grouse aren't easy to come by so it pays to have confidence in your ammo. All I hunt with are paper factory loads from the 1950's and they never fail to go bang.

However, roll-crimped paper factories date mostly from before WWII and I found them way too unreliable. I think all the small arms research for the war effort made a huge stride in primer reliability.

Like a lot of others, I have flats of target loads that are 15+ years old and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a shootoff.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I have several hundred CCI 209's from early 70's. I'm not sure where they were stored over the years but I won't use them any more. Noticed they really smelled bad after firing, majority of them worked fine. Had 3 though that were weak, flame out the barrel and from the port, weak sounding. That's enough for me to not use any more, at least in competition.

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Heck, I've still got some Alcan 209 Primers from the mid 70's and they fire
just like they should. I tried a few the other day just to be sure. If I remember right, the plant was destroyed in a fire or something in the mid 70's. They have been on the shelf ever since.

Big Jack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.