Trapshooters Forum banner

Primer hate?

4652 40
Been reloading for a few years, mostly Cheddites, had a few boxes of Winchester and Cci. Fortunate to end up with a recent Cheddite order. Low on lead and was talking with few buds who had lead but low on primers. I offered a swap, both agreed but neither wanted Cheddites!
bad reputation from past issues or does everyone believe because the big dogs said so?

Team Gravity trap, we break em all!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
I was at a large Sporting Clays shoot a few years ago and was discussing some firing pin issues I had experienced with one of the representatives of a prominent gun manufacturer that happens to start with a K. He said " I can't really tell you to not use Cheddite primers but don't use Cheddite primers". Enough said!

· Sky Buster
4,481 Posts
I was at a large Sporting Clays shoot a few years ago and was discussing some firing pin issues I had experienced with one of the representatives of a prominent gun manufacturer that happens to start with a K. He said " I can't really tell you to not use Cheddite primers but don't use Cheddite primers". Enough said!
I stopped using them because I was getting to many "fail-to-fire" with them.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Been reloading for a few years, mostly Cheddites, had a few boxes of Winchester and Cci. Fortunate to end up with a recent Cheddite order. Low on lead and was talking with few buds who had lead but low on primers. I offered a swap, both agreed but neither wanted Cheddites!
bad reputation from past issues or does everyone believe because the big dogs said so?

Team Gravity trap, we break em all!
Cheddites have a bad rep, in part, because Browning says not to shoot them in their guns due to primer piercing. Believe Browning, or not, I'm sure it hasn't helped the reputation of Cheddites.

I just some Cheddites. I will shoot them in semi autos, they don't seem to have as many issues. Or maybe they do. I'll find out, I guess.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
I've shot over 50,000 Cheddites. I've maybe had a handful piercings, which honestly isn't that much percentage more than I get from other brands. They work fine for me. Knock on wood, I've never broken a firing pin or had a FTF. I've had FTF's with factory ammo though....

· Registered
1,112 Posts
I probably used over 40,000 without any issue. But then over the years I acquired a Parker and Remington hammer SxSs and both of them would pierce primers. Not wanting to ask my friend to ever have to make new firing pins I went to Win and haven't had the problem since.

· Registered
445 Posts
I have been using them for about 10 years and have not had any issues with them. I always figured people were seating them too deep or had excessive firing pin protrusion. I’m shooting them in a browning and yildiz O/U and assorted other guns occasionally.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Been using them for over 15 years with zero issues shooting tens of thousands of rounds during that time.

I will say I shoot Beretta shotguns and have never pierced a primer or had to replace a firing pin.

My shooting partner would tell you the exact same thing.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Banned
2,714 Posts
If you haven't had problems with Cheddite primers yet, you will, like spilling shot while loading, if you haven't you will,, also to those that say they haven't had a problem with these euro turd primers are probably ones that never really look at your empties before loading,, my opinion...

There must be something to primer piercing in Euro hulls as Zoli has engineered a safety feature. Zoli's words, not mine. Maybe it's just marketing or maybe not. You be the judge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.