Trapshooters Forum banner

Primer Availability Freeing Up?

6345 Views 29 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  LtElmer
I went by Cabela's during lunch today - they had lots of ammo in almost every caliber available (but not at great prices), which I haven't seen for months and months. It was nice to see shelves being stocked. So I asked one of the store clerks about 209 primers - knowing that they didn't have any, but wanted to see what he had to say. He said that while they don't have any now, they think that they will start having stock around September.

Probably just told me that as they are tired of hearing the "P" question, but that's the first time I heard something other than "we don't know when we will see primers".

Maybe nature is healing? We can hope! It will be nice to be able to get primers without paying hazmat...
Reactions: joe kuhn and Berty
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
The opening day of dove season, when more ammo gets fired than the rest of the year from all sources, combined, is 7 weeks away. The hunters are not going to cotton to empty shelves at the Walmart or the LGS. I gotta think something's gonna give and soon.

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
WOW!!! Primers actually on a store shelf. And Win and Fed!!! Price is exorbitant, but still. Has to be a good sign. Just yesterday, BPI was selling cheddites for $35/brick with a 1 sleeve-limit and it seemed like it took them a while to sell out. Is the tide really turning, or am I just an optimist?

· Registered
1,175 Posts
WOW!!! Primers actually on a store shelf. And Win and Fed!!! Price is exorbitant, but still. Has to be a good sign. Just yesterday, BPI was selling cheddites for $35/brick with a 1 sleeve-limit and it seemed like it took them a while to sell out. Is the tide really turning, or am I just an optimist?
The is no tide turning here in the MN/WI/IA region. There is a s-l-o-w irregular trickle of shells coming into local Wal-Marts. Scheels has virtually nothing. Fleet Farm has virtually nothing. There is no sign of anything even beginning to change here.

· Premium Member
613 Posts
I was at Bass Pro in Manteca CA. They had a few type of primers on the shelf. No 209's today but they had small pistol magnum, small rifle, and large rifle. $6 per100 and 10 sleeve limit. That's up from 2 a few weeks ago. They also had a few cases of 12G Topgun but expensive (almost $90). So I would say it is getting slowly better. I needed some small pistol primers so I was stoked today. Was an hour wait though because its the same line as for ammo.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went by my local Cabela's today and they had some primers. Here is a shot of the
Winchester and Federal primers and the prices.

View attachment 1757891
Woah - at those prices I'll have to convert over to Cheddites....that's about PV's price delivered to my door...

I'll let those sit on the shelves at those prices...at least until I'm down to my last 100 primers! :)

· Premium Member
Brownings
1,219 Posts
Ya want-a fix the problem, don't buy them, let them sit on the shelves for months. They all know economics 101, supply and demand sets the price. NO one buys, no sales, product doesn't move.
I want some "older" ram memory for an older HP desktop that I got. My experience with pricing on that ram is that people who have it would rather actually EAT it rather than drop their asking price for it.
Spec's on primers are not likely to change for the foreseeable future, and we have seen evidence that properly stored primers don't go bad. I am afraid that those places that have primers at those prices may be willing to keep them until some sucker decides to pay their price.

· Registered
22 Posts
Wow, primers are still nonexistent here in North TX. A lot of gun stores are also limiting purchases of shells to 2 boxes a day. Even when you try to explain that a trap event requires 4 boxes, they won't budge. Dove season is coming up and shotgun shells are gone in seconds. Local Academy sporting goods store did have about 100 boxes of .223 on the shelf though that surprised me.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I want some "older" ram memory for an older HP desktop that I got. My experience with pricing on that ram is that people who have it would rather actually EAT it rather than drop their asking price for it.
Spec's on primers are not likely to change for the foreseeable future, and we have seen evidence that properly stored primers don't go bad. I am afraid that those places that have primers at those prices may be willing to keep them until some sucker decides to pay their price.
I had a bunch of RAM modules from both desktop and laptop saved in a box. Probably 40 sticks from all eras. But I pitched it two months ago during a “shoveling session” in my office.

It ALWAYS goes like that. I throw or give something away and sooner than a cat blinks I find a need for it.

Reactions: charleyj10
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.