Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a prime rib on the grill tomorrow. and was wondering if any of you have a secret recipe you would not mind sharing?
Aloha

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I just cut some slivers in meat and stuff with garlic, salt,peppers and some Rosemary. I cook on indirect heat on a charcoal grill with a dripping pan underneath.

Doug

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Get some Gravy Master, cut some small slices into both sides and rub the Gravy Master all over the meat. Char the meat on both sides and it's done.

Correction to above. I saw "prime rib" and thought it was "rib eye" steak. Not sure if my suggestion for a rib eye steak would work very well for a prime rib......OTOH give it a shot, might be just fine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Olive Oil, coarse salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Cook it on my Kamado Joe BBQ to about a 128-130 internal temp. This should give you about a medium doneness. This is the compromise between me and my wife. I prefer my beef to be medium rare and she prefers medium well.

I know a few people that get their BBQ up to 450 degrees or so and cook for 20-30 minutes and then lower the temp to 300 or so.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
First I buy the roast, rub some salt and pepper all over it and put it the refrigerated uncovered for 3-4 days. Kind of a quick dry aging. I cut slits in the meat and add cloves of garlic in the slits. Rub with rosemary, salt and pepper. Then I cook at about 225 degrees for 6-10 hours depending on the size of the roast. Internal temperature about 130 degrees. Delicious. The uncovered drying in the refrigerator allows some of the moisture to evaporate and intensifies the flavor.

Mike

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Get some Gravy Master, cut some small slices into both sides and rub the Gravy Master all over the meat. Char the meat on both sides and it's done.

Correction to above. I saw "prime rib" and thought it was "rib eye" steak. Not sure if my suggestion for a rib eye steak would work very well for a prime rib......OTOH give it a shot, might be just fine.
Prime Rib and Ribeye are the same cut of meat; the former is slow-roasted on low heat for a long time, while the later is cooked quicker on high heat like a conventional steak. I too am confused by the OP's desire to "grill" a prime rib.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Put it in a smoker, @225 degrees , when inside temp reaches 115 degrees, wrap it in heavy foil, then wrap a towel around it, put in a cooler & let it stand for 1 to 2 hrs Very important if you're looking, you ain't cooking--get a remote reading meat thermometer

Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really liked the prime rib in the smoker, Phil's way was awesome everyone seemed to like it a lot. Thanks all, got to cook more prime rib, stuff is great.
Aloha

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am doing a roast this weekend. I'm using the rotisserie on my weber kettle. The rib roast will be rubbed with salt and pepper as well as rosemary. It will be slitted and stuffed with garlic. It goes on the spit, with a drip pan under it and hot coals fore and abaft. I'll turn and burn for about 2.5 hours or until med-rare by a meat thermometer. During the process, hickory chips will be added to the coals. The roast will set for 15 minutes and then be sliced parallel to the rib bones.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The only two times I tried prime rib, it tasted like roast beef. Is this the way it's supposed to taste.?

Also, work would serve is prime rib at New Years sometimes, and one of the guys I worked with would go around to other workers and mooch the leftover "blubber" from them.:confused: And it wasn't for his dog either.

Bob Falfa

1 - 20 of 28 Posts