Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite Prime Rib
Recipe??? I have a 15 Lb. bonless rib roast that has been aging in the fridge for 3 weeks. MMMMMMMMMM

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
do a search for roast beef on this site The guys recommended tie it up and place a few "small" slivers of garlic in the meat. Preheat oven to 475 and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the oven to 325 and cook till about 120 degrees in the center. Take it out and let it sit on the counter covered in foil for about 20 minutes inside temp should be about 130. Probably the best roast i ever had motordoc

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons salt

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano

1 tablespoon dried thyme ...

mix together in a small bowl and rub all over the roast at least a day ahead of cooking.

If you like a nice brown crust ... mix together

1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon each salt, pepper and garlic powder and rub all over just before putting the roast in the oven.

Oven at 450°F for 15 minutes the reduce temperature to 400°f until you reach the 'donness' that you like.

Let the roast stand at least 15 minutes before carving so that the juices don't run out of the meat.

·
Banned
331 Posts
I cook them on charcoal. Use "Tones Restaurant Black Pepper" lightly over the
whole roast, nothing else. Aluminum throw away pan, 1 inch of water, cover
with aluminum foil. I use a Webber Grill, charcoal grey, vent half open, put
roast on and don't touch it for three hours. Will be red in middle, pink part
way and the ends will be well done. Something for everybody. A little Kraft
horseradish sauce is great with it. Gas grill will work also, med heat. I've
cooked lots of them but never on a conventional stove. Good Luck..

·
Banned
331 Posts
Probably right on the homemade horseradish but I never did know how too. The
Krafts not bad for store bought. Another way too cook it is roll it rock salt,
completely cover it several times, and place it on the grill without the pan.
In three hours it will look like a very large egg. Place it in a pan and hit it
with a hammer. All the juice will run out, just like cracking a large egg. You've never tasted anything like it. It'll be the best Prime you've ever eaten.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
My dad used to be in charge of church building fund suppers back in the 50's and 60's. He'd have wives in the congregation cook the 30lb. roasts slowly for at least 12 hours and then deliver them to the church kitchen. He gave explicit instructions as to how they were to be cooked. He told me some of the ladies didn't like a man telling them how to cook. He'd tell them that they didn't know how to cook a roast that size and he did. The end result was incredible roast beef! And, depending on the time of year, some of it was our beef. I don't think he specified a lot of seasoning, just slow cooking until it was fall apart tender. My mouth waters thinking about it.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Keep it simple...Salt and pepper. If you have to do more than that, you don't like the flavor of Prime Rib.

JMHO

Rick in MT

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It isn't a recipe but if you ever shoot the Pa. State shoot try the Jambalaya Prime Rib at Reichart's Mardigras in Danville. Best prime rib I ever had.

Bud

·
Banned
331 Posts
Leave the salt off; it will draw the blood and make the meat tough....
(my Doctor would be so proud of me if heard me say no salt)
Just use pepper, you won't taste it on the meat, it helps bring out the flavor...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Home made horseradish is rather easy if you can find a good #1 horseradish root. Wash and clean it much as you would a potato. Cut it into chunks and grind it in a hand grinder, best to do outside. Place in a pint jar, add one teaspoon of salt, fill with white vinegar and refrigerate.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Beaver brand horseradish is how we roll. They make six different types of horseradish.

We also get their hot Chinese mustard.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Whatever you choose to rub on it, stick inside it, or chant over it....
Pull the meat outta the refrigerator EARLY enough to come to room temperature all the way through before cooking. It helps avoid having the ends overcooked and dry while the middle remains red/pink, as your preference dictates.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
salt and pepper liberally [or conservatively, your choice]. Cook at 300 uncovered until inside temp is 125. Finish slices in light hot beef broth, not boiling. Prime rib au jus. Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is the best technical explanation I have seen. Produces restaurant quality rib roast. I prefer less in terms of spices, should highlight the beef.

Brian is right...Beaver Brand is the ticket!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am another one for salt crusted prime, the only difference in the cooking technique. I do mine in a dutch oven, we even have it on float trips wth a good Melbac.
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
What exactly does all that salt do?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts