Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with whats going on now One would think that the price of lead and targets would be coming down???

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
There a lot of shooters who are not shooting. Guess what they do when they can't shoot? They load empty hulls, that's what. Don't think you're gonna find any bargains on shot... if you can find any. I've got 40 flats of singles loads under the bench & will start the HCP Rino Rollers tomorrow & down to about 1/2 ton of shot.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
The only time prices drop is when demand drops.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I’m sure when you see dollars on sale for 85 cents, then lead shot and targets will get cheaper. I can’t wait until cigarettes are $2.60 a carton again and gas is 26.9 cents per gallon.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The price of raw lead is wayyyyyy down...to about 5 years ago price.....but I really dont know how long it takes to "get into the pipeline" to reflect a reduction in the price of shot. .........Uncle Sam, Pa.

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Why would you think shot making company would drop their price because their lead supply is lower? The shot is going to sell for what the market will bear, If demand for shot drops, then the price will come down

Look at commodities. Grains and corn etc are bought on the commodities market, that means those prices on those commodities goes up and down. When is the last time you bought bread cheaper because the price of grain dropped? When can you buy cheap bread? Usually the day old stuff that was removed from the store shelf if it does not sell at

When your supplier buys a truckload of shot. He is not going to sell that shot cheaper than what he paid for it after the price of lead falls on the market.

If the demand for bagged shot drops because fewer shooters are reloading, maybe, but then instead of reloading those shooters will be buying more factory shot. And lithium batteries have not replaced lead acid batteries in cars with internal combustion engines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Took me a long time to realize shot isn't getting cheaper...I've finally broken down and am now buying reclaim for what new shot used to cost 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Our companies even making shot or targets?
White Flyer has temporarily halted production of targets. My club had an order in for a trailer load, after we were shut down we called to cancel the order. We were advised to not cancel, rather remain in line as they stopped production.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"targetbreaker " ,why not include components in your question ? Wads + shells are made out of low density poly ethyline and that is made out of petroleum . Since raw oil is way down in price ,that should be cheaper as well , right ? What we are paying for most of anything ,when it comes to reloading , is probadly twice what Wholsalers pay for it . He might lower the price if he gets the next shipment for less money and only once his current stock is sold

·
Registered
142 Posts
When oil was over $100 a barrel, a quart of conventional oil was 3-$4 a quart or more. As oil dropped, motor oil remained the same.

Now it's like $27 bbl. and motor oil is higher!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: shot
Spot price of lead is 0.85 USD per pound.
With manufacturing costs, distribution and shipping costs, and a margin of profit at each level, there doesn't seem to be anyone getting unduly rich here.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
....Wads + shells are made out of low density poly ethyline and that is made out of petroleum . Since raw oil is way down in price ,that should be cheaper as well , right ? .......
My Brother in Law is an investment manager in Houston. He basically makes his living off the oil economy. When the price of oil gets way down, a lot of the oil production shuts down. Isn't worth it for them to pay the salaries and other expenses when there is so little value to the oil being produced.

Reminds me of the one year I was on deployment to Sigonella, Sicily, Italy. The price on the blood oranges dropped so low, they didn't bother to harvest or pick the oranges, just let them die on the trees.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Screenshot_20200409-100523_Chrome.jpg
Re: shot
Spot price of lead is 0.85 USD per pound.
With manufacturing costs, distribution and shipping costs, and a margin of profit at each level, there doesn't seem to be anyone getting unduly rich here.
Other than lead currently trading at $.77 not $.85, your 100% correct.
No ones making much money on shot, especially after adding in the cost of antimony and tin. That's only the raw material cost. Now factor in Labor, Freight, Operations and Profit.
Who's making squat?
MG

1 - 20 of 53 Posts