Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the price of LP in your area?? It went from 1.90 a week ago here to $3.25 today. NE Iowa. I'm going to have to get a loan to fill my 1000 gallon tank... and of course I need gas, I was hoping to make it to spring and fill up cheap, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
4.49 in central Illinois this morning with a limit of 200 gallons per tank. Bought it last summer on contract for 1.52. Good decision as it turns out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i could have contracted it at 1.25 but the last 3 years I didn't contract it and it was the right decision. Looks like I won the small battles but lost the war....

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Why ANYONE would not either buy their fuel in the summer or contract it all is BEYOND ME!!!!

$1.25 lock in the UP....-22 Right now......

GS

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Captain Hindsight....... The price hasn't fluctuated more then a few pennies the past few years from the summer fill to the winter price. I guess I never saw the point until this year, and of course now its to late. I guess I will pay the price now.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Ryan...........Des Moines news had it going over $5 a gallon last night.........

And just for midalakes pissy attitude: they also stated that it sounds like contract prices might NOT be honored because of the so called shortage.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I live in the Rochester and Byron area in Minnesota. Propane is at $4.84 per gallon. Are supplier told me they are trucking it up from Kansas and it is still being exported. Maybe it's time for the government to step in. My 1000 gallon tank is at just bellow 50% so I am better than most.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My son just texted me this morning, LP up to 4.70 now, were in SW Mn.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Co-op price here was 3.85 yesterday. I expect it is higher for non-shareholders. They said they still were honoring contracts. Paid $1.55 last summer and that bill was high enough to suit me.

There is a point where it becomes cheaper to heat with electricity at a certain per kilowatt hour compared to the propane price per gallon. If I recall you multiply your cost per kilowatt hour by 27 to find the break point on the cost per gallon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It was 3.52 a gallon here in western Illinois yesterday and going up daily. Neighbor said his dealer told him that next week they could run out.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Glad we bought it last summer, I think it was $1.40 when we bought it

I was kind of like Yoteslayer a few years ago I bought early and normally we would go through about 2,000 gallons split between the shops and house, but one year it was real warm and we only used 1,000 gallons, and the next fall it was 40 cents a gallon more, so they raised the prices, so I ended up paying 400 for gas I already paid for, I raised hell, but found out that is how they all do it, I guess if one company is a crook they will all be crooks, so I just bought 4 more 500 gallon tanks, get the filled and play "musical tanks", I take the front end loader and swap them out

·
Registered
49 Posts
Filled up Jan 16 for $1.54 today it is $3.89 here in south central Illinois my wood burner looks better everyday. Going to cut wood today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Farmers used 50 million gallons in 2012 to dry grain 2013 they used 300 million plus exports are higher. Now we are going to pay the price. There will be no doubt there will be people running out and not be able to pay the price.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I do not have a "pissy" attitude. I am old enough not to get involved in a "Tulip Sale"

It is one thing age gives you.

I hate when people are getting ripped-off. That is what is happening now!!!

GS

·
Registered
808 Posts
gwl makes a good point about the corn drying being a big factor in the price. There was a lot of late, wet corn and it just would not dry down in the field. Our propane guy said he was run ragged keeping tanks to dryers full that had not run for years. So everyone with a dryer had them fired up.

Like any commodity the market is driven by demand, with the wet corn and the cold temperatures it looks like demand is coming near outstripping supply.

I did see that some states are waiving the hours of rest rules for over-the-road propane trucks. It seems that the lines at the major terminals are so long that drivers waiting in line were running up against the law.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I lucked out last year, I had a few extra bucks so I increased the amount of LP gallons I prepaid at $1.49 by 30%. Intuition is a great possession.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I am no fan of ethanol, but I don't believe you could directly tie the cost to dry corn with propane, to ethanol. Drying corn (or paying to have it dried) is just a cost of doing business to the farmer. In reality, stored corn regardless of how it is used has to be at an appropriate moisture level.

To store corn we generally dry it to 16 percent moisture, run air through the bins, then sell it before hot weather hits. I do know ethanol plants can not grind corn over 18 percent moisture without it being gummy. The local elevators "dock" any corn brought in that is too wet to store. Each elevator has a percentage per bushel that they take off your total depending on the arriving corn moisture content and their particular storage situation.

This year there was a lot of corn that would not dry below 23 percent in the field. Most everyone around here picked it and dried it, or sold it and took the "dock." Those that waited and left corn in the field to dry out took a major loss with lodged corn when the windstorm hit on Nov 17th.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
When I was a kid my Dad had an MC continuous flow drier, it had 2 9 million btu burners in it it pulled the $hit out of a 4320 John Deere, he had a 300 gallon diesel tank hooked to the tractor and it was one persons job to haul LP from Co-op in 1000 gallon anhydrous tanks, we would start with two and swap them out one at a time, and it was a steady job to keep the LP to the drier

It was pretty neat some years it ran a long time and there would be green grass growing by the drier when it was 20 below, and the steam column probably a mile long on a still day

Then he put driers in the bins, mush cheaper and easier

1 - 20 of 63 Posts