Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several bad indicators .Remington shutting down in NC and the only Remington plant turning out shells in ARK. or so I've heard . The shell producers are having trouble getting lead. The run on guns and ammo ( which is predicted to get WORSE the closer the election gets.) Was at Wally World today Estate shells up from 5.58 to 5.76 a box. Retail Shot up several places. Hope it's a hic up and not a huge belch !

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Several bad indicators .Remington shutting down in NC and the only Remington plant turning out shells in ARK. or so I've heard . The shell producers are having trouble getting lead. The run on guns and ammo ( which is predicted to get WORSE the closer the election gets.) Was at Wally World today Estate shells up from 5.58 to 5.76 a box. Retail Shot up several places. Hope it's a hic up and not a huge belch !
The last lead smelter in the US closed a while ago. Now we get our lead from, yep, China. The entire supply chain has been interrupted somewhere along the line from the Chinese flu.

The ammo prices have gone way up and they will never come back down. The dealers might eventually keep their prices stable but the msrp prices will be raised to make it look like a good deal.

No end in sight for high prices. Much higher if Biden get elected.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The last lead smelter in the US closed a while ago. Now we get our lead from, yep, China. The entire supply chain has been interrupted somewhere along the line from the Chinese flu.

The ammo prices have gone way up and they will never come back down. The dealers might eventually keep their prices stable but the msrp prices will be raised to make it look like a good deal.

No end in sight for high prices. Much higher if Biden get elected.
It is true that there are no more primary (use mined ore as a product source) lead smelters in the United States.

This is not as a supply issue, as over 85% of all lead processed and refined in this Country is produced by secondary smelters. These plants recover lead from automotive and industrial batteries and refine it to any customer specifications.

The major customers are battery manufacturers. Ammunition sales are only about 5% of smelter sales.

Sadly, this industry is also shrinking. Twenty years ago there were 54 secondary smelters in the country. Now there are approximately a dozen remaining. The remaining smelters are fairly large operations, each producing 100 to 150 thousand tons of refined product per year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Owners of Palmetto State Armory have put in a bid for All Of Remington's Ammo Facilities..

And NO we don't get lead from China as explained in the post above.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I sure hope it goes up so I have more to complain about than $38.00 targets at the satellite grands.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’ve been to the lead mines many times for my work. The last primary smelter was run by Doe Run company in Herculaneum Missouri. It shut down about 5 years ago.

The lead mines in Viburnum Missouri are still active. The mine concentrates the ore at the mine. They put a single scoop into a semi for transport. It’s then barged to China for primary smelting.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Try buying anything other than shot shells. 9mm fmj has gone from $.19 each last November to about $.60-$.69 right now. It’s insane.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Already seeing price increases on shells in my area. The cheap Federal shells I always buy for $19 per 100 has gone up to almost $23

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My friend who has a small gunshop here in Delaware told me just yesterday afternoon that 9mm ammunition was now going for about $2 PER ROUND !! In 2019, you could get a bulk sale of 1,000 9mm rounds for $175 !!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Price increases coming? Well, that seems to be the general trend since about 1935.......

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
lgs says 1 bag per person as their supplier will be out of stock for 4 months predicted.
they may be holding back for their choice buyers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts