Trapshooters Forum banner

Preventing stuck choke tubes in a Caesar Guerini.

9K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  Bob Schultz 
#1 ·
The solution in preventing stuck Caesar Guerini choke tubes is to lube the complete barrel of the choke tube before installing them. When you lube only the threads, and because the threads are located on the muzzle end of the tube, this allows gases to come between the choke tube and the barrel at the breach end of the tube when firing the shotgun. Grease prevents this from happening by filling the void and not allowing gases between the choke tube and the barrel.

Browning invector(+) do not suffer this problem because the threads are on the breach end of the choke tube and prevent the gases from coming between the choke and the barrel.

Just remember on a Caesar Guerini lube the complete choke tube not just the threads.

mkstephen

#4 ·
do you have a recommendation on a lube to use- or is any of them fine
Im guessing this is what occured in my CG that I cant get a choke tube out of. Several have recommended using Kroil- I was a bit concerned when someone said soak end of barrel in it but dont let it get on the rib because it might come off. How do you soak the last 3" of the barell without getting it on the rib??

RMR

#11 ·
I use Plumber's Grease on the Briley chokes in my Summit. It is made of silicone and works great. I smear some over the outside of the entire choke. It also stops burnt residue from forming along the exterior side of the choke. Do not use it on any other parts of the gun because it is too thick and will make the gun hard to open and close. I have had it on for over a month and the choke was still easy to loosen.

#18 ·
The best way is stick to a cleaning schedule , and lube them completely oil grease or anti seize . I like the copper myself and used it all the time on guns I cleaned at shoots. I cleaned many at our shoots in NJ . Also made my own eds red cleaning fluids, and white Teflon grease in the action . Light oil in he trigger areas and wipe off excess . I lots of stuck chokes to remove but never when they were kept cleaned. Gary

#20 ·
We had trouble with my wifes CG, and had to get one tube out with a pipe wrench. Sent it in to them another time. What worked for me the last time was to soak the end of the barrel in PB Blaster for a day, then put the barrel in my gun vice. I cut notches in the end of the extended tube to fit my beretta T-Handle choke wrench. Heat the end of the barrel with a propane torch, moving it around to avoid hot spots, put an ice cube on the end of the tube to make it contract, and turn the choke out with the t-handle wrench.

What will help is to turn the tube out a little by hand when you are through shooting for the day.
The chokes are not getting stuck at the threads, but along the outside of the tube where it mates to the barrel. Rust forms there & seizes the tube against the barrel.

I finally went to Briley chokes in the guns & problem solved.

#22 ·
Is it that hard to take out the choke tubes and oil them when you're done?

Takes about 5 minutes or less?

Every gun I have has choke tubes. Regardless of the type, take'em out and oil them before you retire for the night. Never had a rusted tube in 30 years.

Small price to pay for performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.