Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think premium ammo produces better scores fron the back fence campared to using Estates or Rio ammo? The shot quality is / could be a factor but how much? Is it worth spending the extra $ for premium ammo?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
It sure seems to but I'm not positive it is an actual performance issue as much as it is a mind trick. In other words, if you truly believe in your ammo, your equipment and your ability then you will have better scores than when you have even the slightest doubts about any of the three.

FWIW, I have broken very decent 27 yard scores using Estate 2 3/4 x 1 1/8 #8 and turned right around and shot a not so decent score with Federal HC paper shells - same day. I doubt the ammo had anything to do with that.

So as to the question of is the premium ammo worth the premium price? I don't know but I have to admit that I want the good stuff in my range bag on game day.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
In singles 1 target/100 matters, in caps, make it 2. When I fail, I want it to be my fault.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Find the ammo that shoots best for your gun as hmb said. You'll know when you shoot that brand of shell. There are factors which in the relationship of gun to ammo shot, can make a difference....ie....type of recoil, speed, etc.

What I mean by "type of recoil" is that some brands of shells will have a "whomp" type of kick vs a "crack" type of kick which is a little shorter or quicker.
Kind hard to explain, but for me, and this is just me....AA heavy 7'5's
have a shorter recoil sensation then say Fed Gold Medal heavy loads.
I don't know about the newer Remington 27yrd Nitros as I've never shot them.
But after I switched to AA shells my handicap scores went up...so...
my gun likes AA shells! Find the shell your gun likes and then stay with that shell !....Don't switch around as that will affect your scores, they all shoot a little different and you don't want to be thinking about that when you shoot.

·
Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have noticed that the Winchester super handicaps really roll up a target in my gun..the Rem nitro 27's almost the same. I have noticed that the winchester super handicap shells sell out fast. I may try the 1200 fps shells starting in the spring. I shoot from the 26 yd line..My gun has the soft touch system so recoil isnt a big factor...I do realize that a softer shell will keep your head on the stock more often. I think alot of shooters pick their head up abit and dont realize it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea and gas used to be 50 cents a gallon. It's all relative. The cost of this sport goes past the cost of the shells. I drive 30 miles one way. When gas is $4 a gallon it's expensive to shoot 3 or 4 rounds of practice.
I used to think that it was too expensive to shoot that much. I reload now and save a little. What I have found is that I enjoy the reloading process as much as the shooting. I would reload even if there was little to save. I take a lot of enjoyment in shooting what I loaded. Get used to the inflated prices.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't care for the economy, steel headed trap ammo, period.

For ATA at any distance, my favorite shell is a Federal Paper 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2.

My next favorite is one of my reloads using one of the following:

18.5 of Green Dot, a Federal primer, Clay Buster 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 magnum 7 1/2's in a Federal Gold Medal paper hull.

19.5 of Green Dot, a Nobel Sport primer, Clay Buster 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 magnum 7 1/2's in a Federal Gold Medal ribbed plastic hull.

Confidence in your shell makes all the difference.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think Wolfram is correct. I think it is mostly in your head. My boys go through shells like a piece of fat bacon through a goose.

I don't have time for reloading and neither do my boys. I buy shells, no matter the brand when they are as cheap as I can get them. They have shot, Estate, AA, Federal papers, Federal Top Guns, Remington Gun Clubs, Rio and Noblesports, Herters, with a few others thrown in I can't think of.
I see no difference in their scores, especially my older son.

I do however see a difference in quality of the shells. We have had more problems with mis-fires or shells that won't even chamber, in AA's.

We've been shooting Noblesports the last 2 years because we get them at a good price through SCTP, (under $55/ flat), and have only had 0 misfires or problems loading. Last season my older son shot close to 20 flats and I have 30 flats with another 15 on order, in the garage right now.

If you do your part, I don't think it matters what shell you use. My opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts