Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use Benchmark for my custom AR .223 Wylde. I am wanting to load a bunch of bulk 5.56/.223 rounds for GP. I am planning on using 55 FMJs. If you had to pick 1 powder, which would you use and why? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
My 55gr .223 loads are with H4895.
I worked up and tested prolly 2 dozen loads for my bench/groundhog rifle and 26gr of said powder constantly showed very good accuracy with every bullet i tried...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
For ultimate accuracy I have shot kegs and kegs of Varget in the .223, and to a lesser extent Reloader15 and H4895. These are stick powders that I throw short and trickle up to exact weight. Ball powders like 748, BLC(2) are what I use for good ammo that is not used in a match where I spend a lot of money to enter. I am 1/2 way through a jug of IMR 8208xbr that really performs well and is small grained so it meters really well.

I did have a very stout load of 748 that I shot in an early spring match very well. The same load on a 100+ degree day went unstable and I was piercing a lot of primers. That never happened with a less than max load.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are a ton of powders that work good with that round. Buy the one you can get. I have a bunch loaded with BLC(2) and H 335, There are about 10 other powders I would not hesitate to use if I could get it.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Another vote for Varget. Great go-to for 5.56. Match loads using 8208XBR which is super consistent but too expensive for plinking loads.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the great replys!! I sent my powder guy a list for 8lbrs of BLC(2), Win 748 and Varget. I forgot I have used Varget in my AR. Its my go to powder for my Swifts. So, we shall see what he can come up with and go from there.

Reactions: Leo and BryanF
1 - 20 of 43 Posts