·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Reactions: Chichay

·
Premium Member
14,903 Posts
I'd do some research on 'barrel twist rate' and bullet stabilization by weight...

My TRG has a 1:11 twist rate (Sako hedged their bet here - many would say a 1:10 is a better choice) - and it thrives on 175 gn and 185 gn bullets.

The 168 gn you have should be better served with a 1:12 or the like.

Food for thought.

Reactions: Chichay

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I'd do some research on 'barrel twist rate' and bullet stabilization by weight...

My TRG has a 1:11 twist rate (Sako hedged their bet here - many would say a 1:10 is a better choice) - and it thrives on 175 gn and 185 gn bullets.

The 168 gn you have should be better served with a 1:12 or the like.

Food for thought.

My .308 sports a Palma barrel by Krieger and rifled at 1:14, fires the Sierra 155MK like laser. I agree that the heavier bullets will require a tighter twist with 1:10 optimal to maybe even 220grs. Will have to look up the Greenhill formula.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I took a precision rifle course with a rented rifle last year, and I liked it. I have access to a 1000 yard range with metal targets all over the place. I have 300 rounds of 308 left over from the course. Many people encourage me to get 6.5 creedmore instead. It will be for target shooting only, not for hunting. I wont be buying until September or October unless a good deal pops up, its too dang hot in the valley of the sun to shoot much this time of year.

I like the long barrel life of the 308, but have to wonder how long it would take me to wear out a 6.5 creedmore barrel at this stage of my life. Ending up with one of each eventually is not out of the question.

Any opinions? Here in AZ this is the off season, kinda like you northerners in winter. Less shooting and more wondering. Separate thread for scopes later on.

I was in the same position as you a few years ago. Started with a Savage 308....and changed the barrel to a 6.5CM. Loved the 6.5CM and sold all my 308 stuff. Ammo cost was/is about the same (outside of cheap low end 308 mil surplus stuff) so it didn't really bother me.

Looking back I wish I would have bought the 6.5CM first and not messed with the 308.

I ended up going through several rounds of upgrading things on the savage but there's definitely more options for things out there for the Rem 700 platform. You can usually find a good deal on a rifle that's gotten some upgrades through your local PRS community.
Speaking of, go to a local PRS match. I've met some wonder people through them and they usually have no problem letting you pull the trigger on something they have or looking through their glass or the such.
Also, even though I don't shoot them very often PRS matches are pretty fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A Creedmoor would be a bit more future proof if you start to get more serious about it. The recoil is less (easier to spot misses and correct), its significantly better in the wind (I assume its windy in AZ), and more factory match ammo choices. Unless you're shooting a hot rod, the cost of a barrel is minuscule over the course of its life. I've shot 6BR, 6GT, 6 Dasher, 6 and 6.5 creed, 308, and more. 9 times out of 10 i'll point a new shooter towards the 6.5 Creedmoor over anything else.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Below is the what most of the long range shooters will suggest;

Looking back I wish I would have bought the 6.5CM first and not messed with the 308.
9 times out of 10 i'll point a new shooter towards the 6.5 Creedmoor over anything else.
However, there's always few old timers and 308 fanboys those are just fond of 308 and recommend it despite of what the situation is.

They all say "308 can do anything other calibers do.... it's adequate for any beginners. Well, they are not wrong. In fact, I carry semi 308 for every hunts because I believe in it.

But for a brand new target shooter who only wants to have occasional fun day, you can't beat 6.5CM in short term and long term.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts