Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a precision fit stock that I haven't used for a while. The comb mounting split ring will not tighten. I have tightened the pinch screws but the split ring does not tighten at all. I tightened it as far as I could, I even broke off a screw head and had a machinist remove the remaining screw. The threads are undamaged. Any ideas?

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Not sure that I follow but there is a set screw on the opposite side that should be loosened before your split ring is tightened....It sounds like your split ring screw is butting heads with your set screw.

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The longer spacer worked. I also had to put the pinch screws in from the other side. I had flipped the comb retainer slide for a lower rib and had could to put the pinch screws in the same way as before. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
492 Posts
Over tightening the split ring can stretch the metal, making it pitch together and or break one side of the split ring off. I also have seen them tightened so tight they stretch the aluminum and rip.
A few years ago a friend purchased a used PFS. To his surprise the side was broken off. It was an older model with the larger diameter top rod. I called Vern B. and he sold me a used split ring for $30.00. He ask me to describe the split ring because he stated there has been changes over the years on the split ring.
A few shooters have asked me to make some alternative style split rings. I made them up two pieces, screws on both sides. They are not offset, can’t flip them, same height on both sides. If you have a high rib they are fine. They are to high for low rib guns.

Wood Rectangle Water Gas Aluminium

Marker is where the older split ring had a step and broke off. I do not have it to show, this is a tired newer split ring.
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Gas Metal

Marker is where I have seen them split.

Wood Rectangle Water Circuit component Electronic component

Wood Floor Flooring Material property Hardwood

Wood Hardwood Flooring Varnish Wood stain

Here is the “Butch Block”

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.