Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a pre-64 model 70 misfire intermittently with all different types of ammo? almost like the firing pin is broke, But the bolt was totally gone over by Hart rifles, so i doubt its the bolt.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I suggest you remove the firing pin and spring assembly from the bolt (safety in center position) and clean it thoroughly. Spray some degreaser down the inside of the bolt and make sure no old grease is present. Then wipe the bolt and firing pin spring with an oily cloth or patch - don't add any "liquid" or grease lubricant - and reassemble. This has cured more Winchester, Remington and Mauser-style bolts than I can count. -Ed

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I to had that problem and did just was stated above. The fireing pin and spring was gummed up by old grease and or oil. It just didn't wnat to move. Once cleaned it was OK.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
As said above pull the bolt apart and inspect. The possibilities are gunk, a broken spring or a bent/broken pin. The problem should be obvious once you get the bolt disassembled and once resolved, the rifle can be expected to fire all ammo/primer brands in all conditions.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
My nephew was having that problem on a Rem 700.

Opened up the bolt and found 2 fir needles as well as hardened grease.

Cleaned it all out and reassemble DRY. Works fine now.

While we were at it, we checked out the safety, FOUND the same problem!!

Solvent wouldn't remove the hardened grease!! Took a razor blade to remove it!!

Cost him a nice black bear!!

Now he cleans it up after every season!!

Lesson learned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts