Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever pattern these shells? I can't see how they can be consistent with the odd shaped shot.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
The 3" 20 ga 5's hammer a pheasant. Never patterned them but I love em. Unbelievable performance out of a mod choke. Birds hit the ground dead

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone ever pattern these shells? I can't see how they can be consistent with the odd shaped shot.
Yes. After tearing up pheasant and ruining meat, we patterned 12 gauge. We compared the pattern with other shells. Our results were as we suspected. The pattern for the Prairie Storm was significantly tighter than our usual shells. We preferred the pattern and performance of other shells.

·
Premium Member
7,004 Posts
Yes. After tearing up pheasant and ruining meat, we patterned 12 gauge. We compared the pattern with other shells. Our results were as we suspected. The pattern for the Prairie Storm was significantly tighter than our usual shells. We preferred the pattern and performance of other shells.
So am I hearing you correctly? You don't like the shells because they pattern to tightly?
That's very interesting! "ROFLMAO"
MG

·
Premium Member
7,004 Posts
Believe it or not, they pattern superbly! I don't know why exactly, but I would guess it's because of the hardness
of the shot. I would recommend IC choke at the most. I myself use skeet choke most of the time.
MG

·
Registered
3 Posts
So am I hearing you correctly? You don't like the shells because they pattern to tightly?
That's very interesting! "ROFLMAO"
MG
Nope. You are not hearing me correctly. We actually shot separate paper targets using a variety of shells. We preferred the superb patterning of other shells. Your reply was rude.

·
Premium Member
7,004 Posts
Nope. You are not hearing me correctly. We actually shot separate paper targets using a variety of shells. We preferred the superb patterning of other shells. Your reply was rude.
It was meant to be! And you should stop wasting our time with your ridiculous comments!
Too tight? Go figure!
MG

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
a friend of mine broke. a baretta 302 bolt in 3 pieces just shooting one prairie storm. No thank you

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
a friend of mine broke. a baretta 302 bolt in 3 pieces just shooting one prairie storm. No thank you
It is completely irresponsible to blame factory ammunition for a malfunction that winds up destroying a firearm. It's easy to blame the ammo when the fault lies with the operator. Most likely a barrel obstrcution for which any brand of ammo would cause damage.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a box and cut one just to see what was in it. The powder looks like a fine ball powder, the copper plated shot was normal, the odd shaped shot looks like it formed in some kind of a form die rather than dropped from a shot tower. I can see why the pattern is tight due to the wad, it is a non spreading wad with fingers that deploy to slow the wad down to separate it from the shot. I still don't get how it can consistently pattern after years of telling us that shot must be perfectly round to pattern well. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
Think about it. When oblong or no-spherical shot is propelled at 1200 fps, the heavy end will point forward. Apparently, it doesn't have an impact on the pattern. Hevi-shot looks like shrapnel. I think Win uses hex shaped steel shot in its blind-side loads. And the wad separates from the shot string within a short distance from the barrel and has little impact on pattern.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I 'm thinking about it - I think I will get a cold beer!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
NEB's the gun did not blow up . nor did it have a obstruction in the barrel. The force that the shell blew the bolt open broke the bolt. We were shooting Annie's . had 45 witnesses on the line. Glad I declined not to shoot them as I was offered it first. And I will never shoot them because of that instance.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
The 3" #5's are awesome, but I did have a wad stick in the barrel with a squib load. The next shot may have been disasterous.

Pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Prairie Storm are awesome shells and yes I have patterned them. They do have more recoil than other shells in their class but, they drop pheasants with authority. The funny thing is that I absolutely can't stand Federal Black Cloud they are dirty and they don't pattern worth a damn.

·
Premium Member
5,416 Posts
NEB's the gun did not blow up . nor did it have a obstruction in the barrel. The force that the shell blew the bolt open broke the bolt. We were shooting Annie's . had 45 witnesses on the line. Glad I declined not to shoot them as I was offered it first. And I will never shoot them because of that instance.
It's the gun's fault then, not the ammunition's. And it wasn't the force of the shell, it was the force of the gas that operated the action. That gun was not set up to operate that type of ammunition. I use a Beretta autoloader and I have a set of springs with different tensions I can use adjust how much gas gets cycled to the action. When I have a spring for heavy loads in it, it won't cycle light loads.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
493 Posts
Bought a box of 12's last fall on a ND pheasant hunt. They are the best pheasant load I have ever used.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts