Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so the trapshooting is going to be shut down for at least half the summer so I am thinking about making a trip to South Dakota or Wyoming to shoot some prairie dogs. I have never been, but always wanted to go so now may be the time. I have several rifles that are suitable and tons of ammunition so all I need is a recommendation of where to go or who to contact. Should I do a guide type deal or try it on my own, any and all advise would be appreciated Thank you

·
Registered
504 Posts
I prefer 22LRsemi autos , bring 2 if possible, because if you find a great spot your barrel will start to heat up and accuracy and gun jams become a problem , Bring lots of ammo

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Check out the 'hunting section'. A couple weeks ago there was a pretty good thread about prairie dog huntin'...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Prairie dog hunting is either feast or famine. I’ve never seen anything in between. All the good big untouched towns are miles off the beaten path , and you have to have a direct connection to a local to even hear about them. I luckily stumbled across a good town about 5 years ago. Not many ppl are going to share any of the good spots. But they do exist if you put in the leg work.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Cleaned out a couple of " safe queens" yesterday. Bought a new Remington 783 in .223 and 200 rounds of ammo with the proceeds. Not bad, $200 initial investment netted a new gun and ammo, fair trade as the Indians used to say!
Oldest son and I are planning a trip to North Dakota for prairie dogs in late August. Private land, unshot at dogtown.
Should be fun! Booked motel yesterday. Put a decent 3 to 9 scope on a Ruger 10/22 stainless the other day. Zeroed it in for 100 yards. Hitting water bottles pretty easy with it!
Just need a few things to take like a new easy-up, tabletop grill, much more ammo, a therma cell, sunscreen and some incidental stuff.
Can't wait! Plenty of range time between now and then!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have hunted with some guides who would not set up within 400 yds of a dogtown. Kept them less spooky. That eliminates rimfires. 223 minimum and 22 250 is king. That was Texas 20 years ago. Cant imagine dogs are any different now.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
A story about finding the right local to talk to.

Over 20 years ago maybe even 30 years ago a couple of friends built up some really nice even special 22-250s for a well planned trip to Colorado. The only problem was that shortly before there trip the bleeding hearts in Denver pushed the city council to not poison the city park prairie dogs, "just transplant them to the country!" which caused the prairie dog population to collapse from incompatible diseases. So they get there and NO dogs to be found. One of the travelers being a mason had te thought to call the local Masonic lodges to see if there was a local that would take pity on a fellow mason and help them find some dogs. After several rude hangups, the guy that answered said yes he had a place meet me at _______ at 9:00 tomorrow. They got to the place a parking lot to a greyhound track and where thinking "now what?" When a truck pulled up beside them a guy jumped out and called grab your gear and follow me, he lead them up to the press box opened it to the infield and said have at it.

That's is the story I got from on of the dog shooters.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I used to go to the Sandhills in Nebraska . But it was on big private cattle ranches . One ranch was 76 sections so I never saw it all and the dogs out there weren't spooked from being shot at so you could set up and shoot for a long time before you had to move to another spot. The 223 and the 22-250 and a 25-06 were my rifles of choice . Hollow points and Ballistic tips really turn them inside out and make red mist ! I bet Bud comes up with a place for you. The folks back there will welcome you. Good luck

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Here is a great source of information for South Dakota hunting. You may want to call GF&P to see if they have a current list of landowners that would like some dogs shot. Also, on this link it does state that some of the best hunting is on Tribal lands so a phone call to them for information may be good. I work with Tribes all over the US so I will reach out to a few here in the State and report back with any information I receive.

I have reached out to Foster to find out if he knows of any landowners that has prairie dogs in quantity.

Bud

·
Registered
65 Posts
Always wanted to do this. With Camp Perry and most other bullseye matches cancelled, this might be the time to go. Any updates or info would be appreciated.
Bob

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's exactly why my son and I are going in August!
Brother in laws uncle has been after me for some time to come to his place in North Dakota to shoot some unmolested dogs.
I can't wait! Might have to make 2 trips!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
He doesn't have the ability to PM yet.
Maybe TC has a web-page or a link or a number to reach him ???

Man would I love to go out West and try that out !!! Throw in some coyote huntin' and really have fun!

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Actually right now or earlier is prime time, right when the new pups start to show. The old saying young and dumb holds true it doesn't take long for them to know the muzzle blast means danger. Ways to find dog towns on your own that I have used; hang out at local coffee shop ask old timers for contacts, county court house talk to extension agent or weed control board, find local crop duster, and last resort if you have access to a plane fly remote areas. Dog towns show up well from the air GPS location then look up owner on the GIS map or back to the court house to figure out property owner.

If you find a virgin town don't overshoot it they get smart quick. the shots get longer and longer, eventually they go down and stay down. Best days are mid spring right after a rain grass is tender and entire family will be out feeding, besides the red mist you get a lot of green explosions and collateral damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts