Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pointers please.

My son and I are planning a prairie dog hunt around Dickinson North Dakota the last week of August into the first week of September this year.

We have access to about 2800 acres of private, family owned land that has a prairie dog problem.

Planning on taking a n scoped AR in .223. A scoped bolt rifle in .223 and a scoped .22 semi- auto and plenty of ammo. .223 had very light recoil and 4-600 meter effective range.

Planning two days travel out there and two days back ( we live in St. Louis area) 4 days hunting and at least a day fishing/ sightseeing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sun screen, wide brim hat, water lots of it, nail gun to keep everything from blowing away. Sound fun. Shoot dogs are like eating potato chips. Just can't shoot one. Enjoy your time with your son. My boy and I have got a two day trip planed for next month. Hope all of this virus mess is better by then. Oh did I mention. Ammo bring lots of it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We plan on taking sunscreen, easy up, solid shooting chairs, 2- 6' foldingtables, tabletop grill, coolers with water and food, thermacell and whatever else we can put in the truck!

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
A muffler for the .223 is the cat's meow for lots of close shooting. I would plan on 500-1000 rounds a day. We used to buy cheap Remington ADL's shoot till you smell wood burning and grab another gun. In the fall jerk the scopes off and head to a gun show looking for next years bargains. Just a hint Spring is the best shooting young pups are out they lay side by side on the edge of the hole sleeping in the sun. If you get lucky you clean out the whole family! Go back a week later and you can't tell you have been there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
We use to use 17HMR with clips until we would wear blister's on our thumbs from reloading. When you get into a town that's not been shot-up the action is fast and will over heat a barrel in a hurry. When it smells like bacon frying it's time to switch out guns. Oh you probably won't have any problems but watch were you step or put your hands rattle snakes love dog towns.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,719 Posts
.22 LR is not effective. Most will crawl off. .17 HMR is much more effective out to 150 yards.

If you have the equipment the 200 yard plus shots are a lot more fun and you will not overheat the barrel.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have an RCBS RASS bench that I place in the bed of the truck and or set it up on the ground. It's fully adjustable for an individual's size . It is well worth the investment if you do a lot of varmint shooting. RASS stands for Rapid Acquisition Shooting System. And don't forget the right kind of ammo.Hollow point or ballistic tips are preferred so you can acquire the" Red Mist" If you have a good colony to shoot at and they aren't educated already take several guns so you can let one cool down and just grab another to keep on shooting. I start out with the 22 mag and then go to the 223 and then to the 22-250. Then after that it's time to move to another location and start all over again. Don't forget to take some small rolls of chicken wire and tie wire. After you get done shooting go roll up some dead bodies in the chicken wire and tie them up on the top wire of the fences at a spot you can sneak up on the next morning preferably down wind and be prepared to shoot some coyotes!!! If you have a very big population you might want to take the gun cleaning kits in the field with you .Have fun

·
Registered
489 Posts
My buddy and I shoot the 204 and a couple wildcats in 20-222 and 20 VarTarg. The wildcats are a blast because there heavy enough and don't kick which allows you to watch the show through the scope. The VarTarg is also is very hard to heat up because of the small amount of powder it uses. I know a lot of guys will cringe at this but throw in bore snakes to make a pass through the barrel after 75/100 rounds . This will at least knock enough crap out of the barrel to let you finish the day out with that rifle. Cleaning one rifle at the end of the day instead of 3 or 4 allows more time for supper and libations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love shooting prairie dogs with my .223 but you can’t just shoot fmj or hollow points. Buy fiocchi v-max in either 40 grain or 50 grain and you can watch them explode. Lots more fun and you’ll have no doubt if you hit them or not. Also you’ll start wanting to make longer and longer shots and your .223’s will stop performing so well. If you have a bigger caliber rifle you may want to bring that along too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wingmaaster,
Private land will be a good time. We shoot on public and the shots get long in a hurry. Evolved now into fast twist 22 caliber wildcats with heavy bullets. Now we start at 400 yards and move way out from there. Before the plague in Wyoming a 22 and 17 HMR were used extensively. Dale

·
Sky Buster
4,126 Posts
Wingmaaster,
Private land will be a good time. We shoot on public and the shots get long in a hurry. Evolved now into fast twist 22 caliber wildcats with heavy bullets. Now we start at 400 yards and move way out from there. Before the plague in Wyoming a 22 and 17 HMR were used extensively. Dale
If you see rain cloud's on the horizon, pack up and get to a paved road. When
it get's wet on the prairie, it turn's to gumbo and you will get stuck even with
4 wheel drive. Been there - done that.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you see rain cloud's on the horizon, pack up and get to a paved road. When
it get's wet on the prairie, it turn's to gumbo and you will get stuck even with
4 wheel drive. Been there - done that.
There's nothing like 4wd until you get 1 stuck, then there's still nothing like it!

We have what we call gumbo here.
I'm located in Missouri between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.
The gumbo here starts on the bottom of your boot and as long as you stay in it, it just climbs up your legs. Then it's own weight causes it to fall off then the process starts over!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts